14. Moses became angry with the officers of the army. Those appointed over the army. [This comes] to teach you that when a generation is corrupt, the leaders are held responsible, for they have the power to protest. — [Sifrei Mattoth 43]
16. They were the same ones. This shows that they recognized them [saying,] "This is the one who led so-and-so astray. — [Sifrei Zuta, Yalkut Shimoni] on Balaam’s advice. He said to them, "Even if you assemble all the multitudes of the world, you will not be able to overcome them. Are you more numerous than the Egyptians, who had six hundred chosen chariots? Come, and I will advise you. Their God hates immorality [thus, entice them to sin with your women…] as appears in [the chapter of] Cheilek (Sanh. 186a and in the Sifrei (Mattoth 43).
Remember in the times of Tanach, marriages were contracted sometimes at the age of 9 or 10 between young boys and girls. Sanhedrin goes so far as to say that Bat Sheva and the previous generations married at the age of seven. What we consider pedophilia today was contracted in marriage then. Even Rivka was 3 years old according to Rashi or 14 years old according to Ibn Ezra. Whatever her age it was young but contracted marriage as a wife. There was nothing morally wrong in the eyes of Midian with a three year old working for a fertility cult and carrying out adult fertility work. I am far from a Chassid of Warren Jeffs the cultist Mormon and I don’t think a 50 year old should marry a 12 year old as per Shulchan Aruch Eben HaEzer Siman Aleph. It states that one should be marry a woman that is much younger than himself. The Torah would say to each his own as we find that David HaMelech near the age of 70 married 18 year old Avishag. I could not think of myself as marrying a beautiful Giyoret candidate in Pittsburgh who is in her late twenties because of the age gap but to each his own. Furthermore, this goes against the very nature of a Bnei Yisrael to kill which is the province of Esav and Yishmael like Samir mentioned in Inyanay Diyoma who killed a three year old with his rifle butt as he ran out of munition. (This was a terrorist who invaded a settlement and shot all his ammunition until he came upon a 3 year old boy and bashed him to death with his rifle butt.)
5. Rabbi Ishmael the son of Rabbi Yossei would say: One who learns Torah in order to teach, is given the opportunity to learn and teach. One who learns in order to do, is given the opportunity to learn, teach, observe and do.
I always warn my students that the main reasons for the Mitzvos is to do. The observance of the Mitzvos is more important to Am Yisrael than learning and teaching the theory.
Rabbi Tzaddok would say: Do not separate yourself from the community.
We are talking about a religious community or that of scholars for to separate oneself from a band of criminals and cutthroats is a Mitzvah.
Do not act as a counselor-at-law (when serving as a judge). Do not make the Torah a crown to magnify yourself with, or a spade with which to dig.
Judges should be impartial and a Torah Scholar was put in this world to learn and teach but not to use it for his personal gain as the Rabbi who lured women for a “Tikkun” which was just the opposite.
So would Hillel say: one who make personal use of the crown of Torah shall perish. Hence, one who benefits himself from the words of Torah, removes his life from the world.
How wise Hillel is but with some brilliant individuals it goes in one ear and out the other.
6. Rabbi Yossei would say: Whoever honors the Torah, is himself honored by the people; whoever degrades the Torah, is himself degraded by the people.
First is the honor of HASHEM, then Torah and Halacha. This was the way of the greatest Torah Scholars and hundreds of thousands attended their funerals. I have been at funerals where very few people came and it was for lack of observance not because they were basically bad people in fact they might have been very good people between man and his fellow but just lacking honor of Torah either out of ignorance or outright not wanting to observe.
7. His son, Rabbi Ishmael would say: One who refrains from serving as a judge avoids hatred, thievery and false oaths. One who frivolously hands down rulings is a fool, wicked and arrogant.
Sometimes Rabbi Mimran Shlita tells me stories of litigants in cases where you wonder what is wrong with humanity. Sometimes the Judges are persuaded not by the truth but by the tricks of a cunning tongue this is the thievery and falsehood.
8. He would also say: Do not judge on your own, for there is none qualified to judge alone, only the One. And do not say, "You must accept my view," for this is their [the majority's] right, not yours.
We always have an odd number of judges starting with three so that there will be a majority opinion and no one judge by himself.
9. Rabbi Jonathan would say: Whoever fulfills the Torah in poverty, will ultimately fulfill it in wealth; and whoever neglects the Torah in wealth, will ultimately neglect it in poverty.
I have seen the first half a number of times and as for the second half stocks and bonds are not what they were thought to be and it does not take that much for one to go from riches to rags.
10. Rabbi Meir would say: Engage minimally in business, and occupy yourself with Torah. Be humble before every man. If you neglect the Torah, there will be many more causes for neglect before you; if you toil much in Torah, there is much reward to give to you.
The purpose of business is not to make billions but to give you a nest egg in old age and perhaps something to leave for future generations.
11. Rabbi Eliezer the son of Yaakov would say: He who fulfills one mitzvah, acquires for himself one angel-advocate; he who commits one transgression, acquires against himself one angel-accuser. Repentance and good deeds are as a shield against retribution.
True and according to the simple meaning. The second half one can add giving charity or helping somebody if you have nothing else to give.
Rabbi Yochanan the Sandal-Maker would say: Every gathering that is for the sake of Heaven, will endure; that is not for the sake of Heaven, will not endure.
People have come and made fortunes or done things but after a number of generations they disappear. This week my wife told me of a Rothschild who married a non-Jew but there was also big money involved. The original one got a blessing from a great Rabbi and he did it for the sake of heaven. Now the money is there but the Judaism is mostly gone from the family who does things to guarantee their wealth rather than guard the Torah as the first one did.
12. Rabbi Eliezer the son of Shamua would say: The dignity of your student should be as precious to you as your own; the dignity of your colleague, as your awe of your master; and your awe of your master as your awe of Heaven.
Honor all who have been created in the image of G-D from the lower status to the greatest status.
13. Rabbi Judah would say: Be careful with your studies, for an error of learning is tantamount to a willful transgression.
Learn well so that you will never err.
Rabbi Shimon would say: There are three crowns--the crown of Torah, the crown of priesthood and the crown of sovereignty--but the crown of good name surmounts them all.
Being known for good is more important than being known for wisdom, even a Cohain or even a ruler for a good honest person is worth more in the next world.
14. Rabbi Nehora'i would say: Exile yourself to a place of Torah; do not say that it will come after you, that your colleagues will help you retain it. Rely not on your own understanding.
Torah and Mitzvos create more but lack thereof in your environment will weaken you. Whenever, I travel to great sights of the national parks I have a rising of the soul at the great works of creation and the wonders of the L-RD but being the lonely Talmud Chacham lowers my status in quality. So I can only do so for a short time.
Murray Dunst is an amazing man. He grew up in a Union Household. His mother’s cousin was married to a nice Jewish fellow named Meir Lansky and every Friday evening they would invite him and his two friends Benjamin Segal and an Italian fellow named Luciano for Flanken. Murray’s father was also a boxer and he would have to be lifted up by Luciano to go in the sink because his 16 year old cousin had been sent from Europe after Crystal Night in German by her parents and she was always making herself up in the toilet.
Murray grew up and was guarded by the trio even after his mother’s cousin divorced Meir. Meir’s daughter was still his cousin and he would listen to ‘moments of the meetings’ of Luciano’s friends and report to Meir after Meir had his lucky friend sent to Sing-Sing Prison by another of Meir’s Contacts named Tom a rising District Attorney who was called the Mafia Breaker and Luciano ran the operation from Sing-Sing and was safe from attacks. Murray was there when Frank Costello after an attempted assassination announced his retirement plans to go live in Sicily.
During the course of the years, Murray organized the Baker’s Union for they were being bullied by little bake shops and corporations. When he joined the Marines he turned over the 900 members to his father and when he came back, the number had risen to 4,000 and so he went out on his own. Murray could have gone into a certain business as an arbiter between various factions but would donate the money to charity as he wanted only clean money as his father had taught him.
Murray instead knew the ins and outs of healthcare and became an advisor to clean up healthcare fraud. He found that a certain governor at this time made billions in healthcare in bogus claims and charges but the man only paid fines for ‘accidently’ over charging Federal and State authorities like a million or two for billions and ran his campaign with that money. He became a trustee for various insurance companies and bankruptcy cases.
Murray was a youth when he joked around with Golda Meyer and other Israeli Leaders in Yiddish because of his father’s connections. He was an active member of the Democratic Party but when they became Politically Correct sometime after Kennedy he left and did not vote for either party. However, Barak Hussein Obama and his Israeli stance has made Murray active again but this time with the current top two Republican Contenders in the Polls. One he gave the campaign platform to before the other entered the race and had him fire a lousy manager.
You may ask who the 83 year old Murray knows today in Judaism besides some old time Israelis. Well besides myself, he has dined with Rabbi Lookstein of the 5th Ave Synagogue, Rabbi Lustig of Cinninati Rabbi Blinsky and I down in FL. He is a non-religious Jew who did Sumo Wrestling in Japan and wrestles with corruption, fraud and abuse today. For you see there is within us all a pinpoint of light unto the nations and each Jew as the merits like a pomegranate. As it is written in Avos do not be surprised by somebody as everybody has his day and for that reason Esther rose to per position as the Megilla states.
Chief Rabbinute fighting against attacks from many sources: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/198005
On some level, it is not surprising that Barack Obama, son of an anti-American, anti-Western Muslim, and John Kerry, grandson of an apostate Jew, would empower the radical Islamic State of Iran with a nuclear weapons agreement that weakens the United States and the free world and endangers the very existence of the State of Israel. It was equally obvious that an agreement empowering Iran and guaranteeing its production of nuclear weapons and continued propagation of terror would be signed eventually. The only uncertainty was when, precisely, Iran would determine that it had extracted enough concessions from its interlocutors so as to declare victory.
From Awraham: Why is it so hard to Convert to Judaism for in Islam you say a few words twice and Christianity sprinkling a little water by a priest or something similar. Judaism is not easy and is acquired over time: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/2972927/sc/fb/jewish/What-to-Expect-at-a-Conversion.htm
Israeli Egyptian Security fence against ISIS: http://www.debka.com/article/24732/US-Israeli-Egyptian-mobile-sensor-fence-projects-to-block-further-ISIS-Mid-East-expansion-
Al Qaeda Yemen a threat to US Synagogues with new smaller size powerful explosives: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3978741,00.html
Preparations for Moshiach raising a Para Aduma http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/197996
Weak Prime Minister no death to terrorist bill: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/198003