Friday, November 10, 2017

Parsha Chayei Sarah, the power of one


B”H Dikla bas Ora got better please remove her from the prayer list.


A little foot note from our last Parsha. Three angels were sent and the question is why not one. Angels cannot multitask. They receive a specific mission from HASHEM. I saw this article on the FB wall of a potential convert named Johnny and even though I receive direct subscription, I don’t usually read everything I get. http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3825092/jewish/What-Are-Archangels.htm#utm_medium=email&utm_source=1_chabad.org_magazine_en&utm_campaign=en&utm_content=content



Parsha Chayei Sarah


It is always sad when a Jew passes away even more so a righteous person and literally the mother of our nation. We learn from our Parsha the importance of a Jewish Burial Place and a time to mourn.


We have the Rashi that explains that Sarah was a hundred and seven and twenty years that she was as pure and free from sin as a seven year old and as pretty at one hundred as she had been at twenty. There is a nice Aggada that Yitzchak looked so much like Avraham that the former prayed that he would have a sign that he was older.


The Medrash says that this all happened right after the Akeda on the Mizbayach of Yitzchak. Once Sarah passes away, Avraham is alone and begins to realize that his son is a bit of a lost sheep without his mother. At the age of 37, it is time for him to get married.

24:1 And Abraham was old, well stricken in age; and the LORD had blessed Abraham in all things.


The Pshat is with great wealth. The Medrash states that he also had a daughter from Sarah. We never here of her nor whom she married. He most likely did have a daughter or so having married three women but they were not recorded as was most women.


2 And Abraham said unto his servant, the elder of his house, that ruled over all that he had: 'Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh. 3 And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife for my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell. 4 But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife for my son, even for Isaac.'


I am assuming that Avraham sent more than one servant on the mission to his home country to protect the valuables. Eliezer was a trustworthy man. He is in charge of the household. Eliezer travels to Padan Aram after swearing on the Bris Kodesh what Avraham wishes. He is a smart servant too and asks for an escape clause in his vow just in case. However, Avraham has faith that G-D will be true to him and keep HIS promise.


10 And the servant took ten camels, of the camels of his master, and departed; having all goodly things of his master's in his hand; and he arose, and went to Aram-naharaim, unto the city of Nahor.


Since he is with 10 camels, I assume that there was a group of servants for handling the beasts and protecting the expensive goods that he was carrying.


11 And he made the camels to kneel down without the city by the well of water at the time of evening, the time that women go out to draw water. 12 And he said: 'O LORD, the God of my master Abraham, send me, I pray Thee, good speed this day, and show kindness unto my master Abraham.


He is again very wise. He prays on the merit of the righteous Avraham for a worthy Shidduch for Yitzchak. Despite his poor wording as we shall see below, the L-RD honors pure hearts and deeds and guides the right woman for Yitzchak to Eliezer.


13 Behold, I stand by the fountain of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water. 14 So let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say: Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say: Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also; let the same be she that Thou hast appointed for Thy servant, even for Isaac; and thereby shall I know that Thou hast shown kindness unto my master.'


What he said correctly was that she should show hospitality and Chessed, which was the trait of Avraham who hosted many. But, what if she was with great deformity, retarded or a loose woman? So he left out definitions of what he really desired for his master.


15 And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel the son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder. 16 And the damsel was very fair to look upon, a virgin, neither had any man known her; and she went down to the fountain, and filled her pitcher, and came up.


For a man who offered himself on the altar and would be a priest after his father died or could no longer serve, only a virgin would really do.


17 And the servant ran to meet her, and said: 'Give me to drink, I pray thee, a little water of thy pitcher.' 18 And she said: 'Drink, my lord'; and she hastened, and let down her pitcher upon her hand, and gave him drink. 19 And when she had done giving him drink, she said: 'I will draw for thy camels also, until they have done drinking.'


This is true Chessed for a man one often would have compassion but for his animals too, this shows that she deserves to be in the family of Avraham.


20 And she hastened, and emptied her pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto the well to draw, and drew for all his camels. 21 And the man looked stedfastly on her; holding his peace, to know whether the LORD had made his journey prosperous or not. 22 And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden ring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of ten shekels weight of gold; 23 and said: 'Whose daughter art thou? tell me, I pray thee. Is there room in thy father's house for us to lodge in?' 24 And she said unto him: 'I am the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah, whom she bore unto Nahor.' 25 She said moreover unto him: 'We have both straw and provender enough, and room to lodge in.'


Not only can we host you, but we are also (pet) animal friendly in our house. This is from the legacy that Avraham left behind.


26 And the man bowed his head, and prostrated himself before the LORD. 27 And he said: 'Blessed be the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who hath not forsaken His mercy and His truth toward my master; as for me, the LORD hath led me in the way to the house of my master's brethren.'


This is the beginning of proof that his prayers will be answered and the thanks HASHEM.


28 And the damsel ran, and told her mother's house according to these words. 29 And Rebekah had a brother, and his name was Laban; and Laban ran out unto the man, unto the fountain. 30 And it came to pass, when he saw the ring, and the bracelets upon his sister's hands, and when he heard the words of Rebekah his sister, saying: 'Thus spoke the man unto me,' that he came unto the man; and, behold, he stood by the camels at the fountain. 31 And he said: 'Come in, thou blessed of the LORD; wherefore are you standing outside? for I have cleared the house, and made room for the camels.' 32 And the man came into the house, and he ungirded the camels; and he gave straw and provender for the camels, and water to wash his feet and the feet of the men that were with him.


Even though Lavan is a relative of Avraham and hospitable it appears to be from seeing the jewelry and not as Avraham to make a Kiddush HASHEM.


33 And there was set food before him to eat; but he said: 'I will not eat, until I have told mine errand.' And he said: 'Speak on.' 34 And he said: 'I am Abraham's servant. 35 And the LORD hath blessed my master greatly; and he is become great; and He hath given him flocks and herds, and silver and gold, and men-servants and maid-servants, and camels and asses. 36 And Sarah my master's wife bore a son to my master when she was old; and unto him hath he given all that he hath. … 40 And he said unto me: The LORD, before whom I walk, will send His angel with thee, and prosper thy way; and thou shalt take a wife for my son of my kindred, and of my father's house; 41 then shalt thou be clear from my oath, when thou come to my kindred; and if they give her not to thee, thou shalt be clear from my oath.


At this point Eliezer finishes the story of Avraham and his great wealth. Now he tells of his prayer and how he was guided to Rivka.


42 And I came this day unto the fountain, and said: O LORD, the God of my master Abraham, if now Thou do prosper my way which I go: 43 behold, I stand by the fountain of water; and let it come to pass, that the maiden that cometh forth to draw, to whom I shall say: Give me, I pray thee, a little water from thy pitcher to drink; 44 and she shall say to me: Both drink thou, and I will also draw for thy camels; let the same be the woman whom the LORD hath appointed for my master's son. 45 And before I had done speaking to my heart, behold, Rebekah came forth with her pitcher on her shoulder; and she went down unto the fountain, and drew. And I said unto her: Let me drink, I pray thee. 46 And she made haste, and let down her pitcher from her shoulder, and said: Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also. So I drank, and she made the camels drink also. 47 And I asked her, and said: Whose daughter art thou? And she said: The daughter of Bethuel, Nahor's son, whom Milcah bore unto him. And I put the ring upon her nose, and the bracelets upon her hands. 48 And I bowed my head, and prostrated myself before the LORD, and blessed the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who had led me in the right way to take my master's brother's daughter for his son.


She showed herself worthy to be part of the household of Avraham for she did all this for the sake of heaven without reward.


49 And now if ye will deal kindly and truly with my master, tell me; and if not, tell me; that I may turn to the right hand, or to the left.' 50 Then Laban and Bethuel answered and said: 'The thing proceeds from the LORD; we cannot speak unto thee bad or good.


It is impossible for us to go against the L-RD. But why did Lavan answer. Bethuel is the father. It seems to me that both concurred. The Medrash says that Lavan wanted to steal all the gold, silver and jewels from Eliezer and therefore tried to poison him accidently poisoning Bethuel when plates were switched.


51 Behold, Rebekah is before thee, take her, and go, and let her be thy master's son's wife, as the LORD hath spoken.' 52 And it came to pass, that, when Abraham's servant heard their words, he bowed himself down to the earth unto the LORD. 53 And the servant brought forth jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment, and gave them to Rebekah; he gave also to her brother and to her mother precious things. 54 And they did eat and drink, he and the men that were with him, and tarried all night; and they rose up in the morning, and he said: 'Send me away unto my master.' 55 And her brother and her mother said: 'Let the damsel abide with us a few days, at the least ten; after that she shall go.'


He wanted to leave Rivka vulnerable to take the jewels and other presents but …


56 And he said unto them: 'Delay me not, seeing the LORD hath prospered my way; send me away that I may go to my master.' 57 And they said: 'We will call the damsel, and inquire at her mouth.' 58 And they called Rebekah, and said unto her: 'Will you go with this man?' And she said: 'I will go.' 59 And they sent away Rebekah their sister, and her nurse, and Abraham's servant, and his men. 60 And they blessed Rebekah, and said unto her: 'Our sister, be thou the mother of thousands of ten thousands, and let thy seed possess the gate of those that hate them.' 61 And Rebekah arose, and her damsels, and they rode upon the camels, and followed the man. And the servant took Rebekah, and went his way.


One of the women we know. She was Devorah who served Yacov and remained with him as he returned to Israel. She died by the way before returning to Beer Sheva.
62 And Isaac came from the way of Beer-lahai-roi; for he dwelt in the land of the South. 63 And Isaac went out to meditate in the field at the eventide; and he lifted up his eyes, and saw, and, behold, there were camels coming. 64 And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she alighted from the camel.


The Medrash says from her great infatuation for her new husband she fell from the camel but Pshat says differently.


65 And she said unto the servant: 'What man is this that walks in the field to meet us?' And the servant said: 'It is my master.' And she took her veil, and covered herself.


The Bedouin – Taliban face covering of married women goes back a long time.


66 And the servant told Isaac all the things that he had done. 67 And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her. And Isaac was comforted for his mother.

I showed this Pasuk to both my grandson and his bride this week. I told them that they were in the beginning stage of love. True love comes being together and turning into a deep love. Judaism does not have a view of love like a Disney or other fairy tale romance. It can even appear to be like that but love must grow with time.

25:1 And Abraham took another wife, and her name was Keturah. … 5 And Abraham gave all that he had unto Isaac. 6 But unto the sons of the concubines, that Abraham had, Abraham gave gifts; and he sent them away from Isaac his son, while he yet lived, eastward, unto the east country.

Probably Brahman of India because of the closeness of names and their ideas of purity.

7 And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, a hundred threescore and fifteen years. 8 And Abraham expired, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people. 9 And Isaac and Ishmael his sons buried him in the cave of Machpelah, in the field of Ephron the son of Zohar the Hittite, which is before Mamre;

Yishmael was a Baal Teshuva and became a monotheist and became a true brother to Yitzchak even if he married non-worthy women.


17 And these are the years of the life of Ishmael, a hundred and thirty and seven years; and he expired and died; and was gathered unto his people. 18 And they dwelt from Havilah unto Shur that is before Egypt, as thou goes toward Asshur: over against all his brethren he did settle.

He returned to Africa and died there leaving the land of Canaan to Yitzchak.


The Power of One by Rabbi Rachamim Pauli


As a reader of this blogspot, there are times when I put in an autobiographical word or two or something that was on the news. This story is a series of actions that I did when I was younger to forward Torah Learning. It started out as an idea and I was unsure if it would take off but it did beyond my wildest dreams.


I was working for an electronics firm in Ashdod and living in Rehovot. We had off every Friday from work as we worked extra hours during the week instead of six days a week. On Friday morning, I would pray early, shop for Shabbos and take the children to school. I would then learn in the Poali Agudat Yisrael Schul. The Gabbai would put up hot water, tea and lemon and I would take a glass or two and learn.


Every Friday morning I was there and I convinced Dr. Stuart Weisrose to learn with me. Then I convinced my friend Rabbi Avraham Riesman Shlita who is a Rosh Kollel for Dayanim in Ashkelon but lives in Rehovot to teach us some part of the Tenach. Along with time Rabbi Riesman became too busy. So I went to Rabbi Simcha HaCohain Kuk Shlita of Rehovot. He had the Rabbinute put out signs and we changed places. It was closer to the Weitzman Institute and many professors came. Among them was Dr. Lee Spector who wrote a book on creation and biology. He proves that the probability of a random molecular reaction occurring and forming life is one to the 110th power. However, even based on a 13,800,000,000-year universe (not six days) you would only have one to the 108th power of reactions of atoms or molecules. This there are 100 to 1 odds that such a reaction of such a long time could not occur.


The Friday Kollel was from 8 or 8:30 AM to 9:30 or 10. I then went to Rabbi Tuvia Wein of blessed memory. He had been a younger student of the Chofetz Chaim. It was he who told me of the Chofetz Chaim preparing for Shabbos by sewing up the Kishka and setting up the Shabbos Candles. The Rabbi also was the uncle of the famous Rabbi Beryl Wein Shlita.


Based on the success of the Kollel in Rehovot, I convinced (not hard at all) the Ashdod head of Yad LeAchim Rav Yerachmiel Kram Shlita to open a Kollel in Ashdod. Avi Lerner Shlita from Rehovot and his brother Rabbi Lerner Shlita of Petach Tikva opened up one in Petach Tikva and the idea spread from city to city. Today there is one in Chashmonayim but I do not attend as I am usually putting on a touch-up of this blogspot.


A co-worker of mine at our factory in Lod, Baruch Dim, opened up a two day a week Kollel after work with Rabbi Yerachmiel Boyer Shlita. I wanted to extend it 5 days a week. Therefore, with the help of one or two workers I physically sat there and learned. Eventually, Rabbi Boyer found resources from the union – management and Rabbinute to pay for another Rabbi.


My engineering project was canceled and many at my company fired many workers. I went with then Union Member Chaim Katz (now a Minister in Government) to a number of cabinet members. It did not help. I went to purchasing. Baruch decided to retire on what they offered him and I went to work in Purchasing along with another Kollel Member from Engineering.


At the age of 49, I picked up the EBV Virus that devastated me along with a traffic accident while I sat in my car and a new driver backed into me at full gas. After being bullied for taking too much sick leave by my bosses while I slowly recovered, I went to a half medical and half compensation pension. I then started just before retirement learning Eben HaEzer in Rabbi Gosland’s Kollel. (Rabbi Gosland of blessed memory) There I met Rabbi Shlomo Mimran Shlita and I helped with my charity money open up our night Kollel.


Eventually, we opened up also a day Kollel with some backing by me and hard work on the part of Rabbi Shlomo Mimran. So if one person like Rabbi Mimran or I can fight to open up Kollelim why not start or at least join one after work.


It should be noted that Rabbi Mimran is a Dayan and listed as one of the 40 Sages for advise by Shass Party for Sephardim to consult – he also knows how to Posek according to the Rema.


I mentioned to my real time buddy Dr. Alan Seltzer, retired director of the Hayden Planetarium, that I personally thought that the “Global Warming” might lead to a mini-Ice Age with more water by the poles to form lots and lots of snow. He contended that I was incorrect. A very friendly non-heated debate. I received this in direct e-mail. Reuven was censored all the time by Facebook. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v66SPTYqF0
As usual an unpleasant truth is being shown - in opposed to the "global warming" BS.

Apparently, a mini-ice age is in our future. There are issues of solar sunspot 206 year cycles that will bring a global cooling trend. Add to this the possible blowup of the Yellowstone Caldera - and we will start to experience a volcanic winter for decades if not centuries. I lived in Minnesota for two decades - and KNOW what winters can look like. ONE single storm here in Samaria a couple of years ago reminded me of what REAL WINTERS look like - and FEEL LIKE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v66SPTYqF0

FACT ONE: THE SUN IS THE REAL DRIVER OF WORLD CLIMATE. So, if the sun goes into a "cold" phase, as it appears to be doing, temperatures drop, This is called a "solar minimum".


FACT TWO: VOLCANIC ACTIVITY WILL INCREASE - AND HOLD DOWN THE PLANET'S CLIMATE.


FACT THREE: IF THE YELLOWSTONE CALDERA BLOWS, IT WILL BRING A RAPID FALL IN WORLD TEMPERATURES.


The real consequences of this solar minimum are at minute 27 of this 29 minute video listed above. I have a second video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y75WhCbhsg8. Watch it and look for further videos.
I also find this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHHTIFMUXA4. Watch and THINK how to protect yourselves from cold weather.


This is the takeaway for people like me - who live in Israel. Summers will be cooler. Winters will be COLD. There will be lots less food - bread, in particular, will be more expensive, as wheat gets harder to grow. In addition, meat prices will skyrocket as there is less feed to feed animals like cows, etc. We are already witnessing the mass disappearance of fish.

As food becomes harder to obtain, riots will take place. So, stocking up on food and arms is extremely important In addition, asking help from God will not hurt. Finally, if you are Jewish, AND YOU LIVE OVERSEAS, COMING HOME TO ISRAEL might be a very good idea.

World temps seem to have peaked in 2013.

You're getting this e-mail because I view you all as friends - a friend looks after his friends. So, send this to your friends and look after them.

Blessings from Samaria,

Ruvy Kossover


Man chokes on steak and paramedic saves him at wedding. http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/237820




Income tax cut for the richer Israelis. http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/237709





Inyanay Diyoma












Druze from the Golan break the fence on the Syrian Border and the Jihadists rounded up back into Israel. https://www.algemeiner.com/2017/11/03/israeli-military-says-it-will-prevent-jihadist-takeover-of-syrian-druze-village-on-golan-border/


Iran threat making new M.E. allies. http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/237625



























He wants to convince Israelis that Arabs want peace. https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5039672,00.html











Alex Fishman on the protection of the Druze an Ed-Op news. https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5038638,00.html






Four murder attempts attacks increase. http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/237865


Saudis and others order citizens home from Lebanon as tensions rise. https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5040933,00.html


Have a good Shabbos,
Rachamim Pauli