Friday, November 13, 2020

Parsha Chayei Sarah, Guest Drasha Rabbi Sachs Zal, Editorial, Story and news.

 Parsha Chayei Sarah

 

Last week, our Parsha ended with the Akeda of Yitzchak and the birth of Rivka. The news of Yitzchak being placed on the Mizbayach reached Sarah it was too much for her and she died according to tradition.

 

23:1 And the life of Sarah was a hundred and seven and twenty years; these were the years of the life of Sarah. 2 And Sarah died in Kiriatharba--the same is Hebron--in the land of Canaan; and Abraham came to mourn for Sarah, and to weep for her. 

 

Since Avraham lived in Chevron, where did he come from? He came from the Akeda on Har Moriah.

 

3 And Abraham rose up from before his dead, and spoke unto the children of Heth, saying: 4 'I am a stranger and a sojourner with you: give me a possession of a burying-place with you, that I may bury my dead out of my sight.' 5 And the children of Heth answered  bAbraham, saying unto him: 6 'Hear us, my lord: thou art a mighty prince among us; in the choice of our sepulchres bury thy dead; none of us shall withhold from thee his sepulchre, but that thou may bury thy dead.' 

 

Since you and Sarah are righteous people, it would be nice to find eternal rest in the section of Tzaddikim.

 

7 And Abraham rose up, and bowed down to the people of the land, even to the children of Heth. 8 And he spoke with them, saying: 'If it be your mind that I should bury my dead out of my sight, hear me, and entreat for me to Ephron the son of Zohar, 9 that he may give me the cave of Machpelah, which he hath, which is in the end of his field; for the full price let him give it to me in the midst of you for a possession of a burying-place.' 

 

Avraham asks for the specific place of the Machpelah to bury his dead.

 

10 Now Ephron was sitting in the midst of the children of Heth; and Ephron the Hittite answered Abraham in the hearing of the children of Heth, even of all that went in at the gate of his city, saying: 11 'Nay, my lord, hear me: the field give I thee, and the cave that is therein, I give it thee; in the presence of the sons of my people give I it thee; bury thy dead.' 

 

Take the spot and the field in front of it for free.

 

12 And Abraham bowed down before the people of the land. 13 And he spoke unto Ephron in the hearing of the people of the land, saying: 'But if thou wilt, I pray thee, hear me: I will give the price of the field; take it of me, and I will bury my dead there.' 

 

Go ahead and bury your dead no payment needed. But Avraham wants no problem for the future so he buys the land. Most of the land was conquered and there is less dispute but when and where our fathers bought land, the area is a bed of contention. They are  Avraham and the Machpelah, Yacov and Schem, David and Har HaBeis.

 

14 And Ephron answered Abraham, saying unto him: 15 'My lord, hearken unto me: a piece of land worth four hundred shekels of silver, what is that betwixt me and thee? bury therefore thy dead.' 

 

It is unclear to me if he really was ready to give the land for free and asked for this high price to show off how large he was or it was the start of a negotiating process with Avraham. Whatever it was, the sum was ridiculously high for a cave and a field.

 

16 And Abraham hearkened unto Ephron; and Abraham weighed to Ephron the silver, which he had named in the hearing of the children of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, current money with the merchant. 

 

Avraham was very wealthy so the money did not mean that much to him but it made Ephron quite wealthy.


17 So the field of Ephron, which was in Machpelah, which was before Mamre, the field, and the cave which was therein, and all the trees that were in the field, that were in all the border thereof round about, were made sure 18 unto Abraham for a possession in the presence of the children of Heth, before all that went in at the gate of his city. 

 

The land was now fully registered to Avraham forever.

 

19 And after this, Abraham buried Sarah his wife in the cave of the field of Machpelah before Mamre--the same is Hebron--in the land of Canaan. 20 And the field, and the cave that is therein, were made sure unto Abraham for a possession of a burying-place by the children of Heth.

 

The main burial place is in the cave but if it will be filled then the field of Ephron could be used.

 

24:1 And Abraham was old, well stricken in age; and the LORD had blessed Abraham in all things. 2 And Abraham said unto his servant, the elder of his house, that ruled over all that he had: 'Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh. 3 And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife for my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell. 

 

Eliezer was with Avraham already from the time that Avraham was a trader with Lot at the age of 70 so now at the age of 140, with 70 years of serve and the battle of the 4 kings behind him, Avraham trusted Eliezer to get the job done properly.

 

4 But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife for my son, even for Isaac.' 5 And the servant said unto him: 'Peradventure the woman will not be willing to follow me unto this land; must I needs bring thy son back unto the land from whence thou came?' 6 And Abraham said unto him: 'Beware thou that thou bring not my son back thither. 7 The LORD, the God of heaven, who took me from my father's house, and from the land of my nativity, and who spoke unto me, and who swore unto me, saying: Unto thy seed will I give this land; He will send His angel before thee, and thou shalt take a wife for my son from thence. 

 

Avraham had such faith that he believed an Angel would secretly help Eliezer.

 

8 And if the woman be not willing to follow thee, then thou shalt be clear from this my oath; only thou shalt not bring my son back thither.' 9 And the servant put his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and swore to him concerning this matter. 

 

By putting his hand on Avraham’s holy Bris.

 

10 And the servant took ten camels, of the camels of his master, and departed; having all goodly things of his master's in his hand; and he arose, and went to Aram-naharaim, unto the city of Nahor. 11 And he made the camels to kneel down without the city by the well of water at the time of evening, the time that women go out to draw water. 12 And he said: 'O LORD, the God of my master Abraham, send me, I pray Thee, good speed this day, and show kindness unto my master Abraham. 

 

Only when he reached his destination did he come to pray for success. [At least that is how the Torah records this.]

 

13 Behold, I stand by the fountain of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water. 14 So let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say: Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say: Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also; let the same be she that Thou hast appointed for Thy servant, even for Isaac; and thereby shall I know that Thou hast shown kindness unto my master.' 

 

Why the camels? For in the house of Avraham, the animals of the guests were taken care of. It was a matter of Chessed Le Avraham. So too he knew that a woman who would enter into Avraham’s family must also have Chessed. But what if she was lame, deformed, deaf, partly blind, rotten teeth, married, immoral etc. He did not pray the way he should have prayed.

 

15 And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel the son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder. 16 And the damsel was very fair to look upon, a virgin, neither had any man known her; and she went down to the fountain, and filled her pitcher, and came up. 

 

She was a real virgin not somebody who rubbed against a man or a woman or did some other tricks that she was a virgin in name only. She was also healthy and good looking.

 

17 And the servant ran to meet her, and said: 'Give me to drink, I pray thee, a little water of thy pitcher.' 

 

He asks her for a small drink for himself.

 

18 And she said: 'Drink, my lord'; and she hastened, and let down her pitcher upon her hand, and gave him drink. 

 

Please drink.

 

19 And when she had done giving him drink, she said: 'I will draw for thy camels also, until they have done drinking.' 

 

I will not only draw for you but for your camels too.

 

20 And she hastened, and emptied her pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto the well to draw, and drew for all his camels. 21 And the man looked steadfastly on her; holding his peace, to know whether the LORD had made his journey prosperous or not. 22 And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden ring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of ten shekels’ weight of gold; 23 and said: 'Whose daughter art thou? tell me, I pray thee. Is there room in thy father's house for us to lodge in?' 24 And she said unto him: 'I am the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah, whom she bore unto Nahor.'

 

The servant is certainly large with his master’s money taking out ten shekels of gold and giving to her.

 

25 She said moreover unto him: 'We have both straw and provender enough, and room to lodge in.' 26 And the man bowed his head, and prostrated himself before the LORD. 

 

She not only is family of Avraham but she offers the man lodging for him and his camels.

 

27 And he said: 'Blessed be the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who hath not forsaken His mercy and His truth toward my master; as for me, the LORD hath led me in the way to the house of my master's brethren.'

 

She now knows that he is the servant of her relative, Avraham. He knows that like Avraham promised: “HIS Angel will go before you”.

 

 28 And the damsel ran, and told her mother's house according to these words. 29 And Rebekah had a brother, and his name was Laban; and Laban ran out unto the man, unto the fountain. 30 And it came to pass, when he saw the ring, and the bracelets upon his sister's hands, and when he heard the words of Rebekah his sister, saying: 'Thus spoke the man unto me,' that he came unto the man; and, behold, he stood by the camels at the fountain. 31 And he said: 'Come in, thou blessed of the LORD; wherefore stand thou without? for I have cleared the house, and made room for the camels.'

 

He saw the ten shekels of gold and was moved to try to get more money via this rich servant. The Pshat as we read it sounds like the hospitality of Avraham.

 

 32 And the man came into the house, and he ungirded the camels; and he gave straw and provender for the camels, and water to wash his feet and the feet of the men that were with him.

 

Eliezer was also old as he had been with Avraham 70 years and was not a servant from birth.

 

33 And there was set food before him to eat; but he said: 'I will not eat, until I have told mine errand.' And he said: 'Speak on.' 

 

Eliezer might have been hungry from the journey but wanted to first finish his mission.

 

34 And he said: 'I am Abraham's servant. 

 

I am the servant of Avraham, your relative.

 

35 And the LORD hath blessed my master greatly; and he is become great; and He hath given him flocks and herds, and silver and gold, and men-servants and maid-servants, and camels and asses. 

 

Avraham is exceedingly wealthy.

 

36 And Sarah my master's wife bore a son to my master when she was old; and unto him hath he given all that he hath. 37 And my master made me swear, saying: Thou shalt not take a wife for my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I dwell. 

 

Avraham has only one son. He will inherit everything.

 

38 But thou shalt go unto my father's house, and to my kindred, and take a wife for my son. 

 

I come her looking for a wife for this son.

 

39 And I said unto my master: Peradventure the woman will not follow me. 40 And he said unto me: The LORD, before whom I walk, will send His angel with thee, and prosper thy way; and thou shalt take a wife for my son of my kindred, and of my father's house; 

 

I was secretly brought here by the Angel assigned to guide me.

 

41 then shalt thou be clear from my oath, when thou come to my kindred; and if they give her not to thee, thou shalt be clear from my oath. 

 

Then lo and behold this is what happened to me.

 

42 And I came this day unto the fountain, and said: O LORD, the God of my master Abraham, if now Thou do prosper my way which I go: 43 behold, I stand by the fountain of water; and let it come to pass, that the maiden that cometh forth to draw, to whom I shall say: Give me, I pray thee, a little water from thy pitcher to drink; 

 

Eliezer is now telling what happened to him via his prayer and the answer to his prayer.

 

48 And I bowed my head, and prostrated myself before the LORD, and blessed the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who had led me in the right way to take my master's brother's daughter for his son. 

 

This is a deal that we did not know. A thanksgiving prayer. Conclusion: It is not enough to pray for help but one must have the ability to acknowledge that help and thank HASHEM (or in the case of a human being, a friend, stranger or somebody who helps you. (See the story Stranger on a Train below). HASHEM has many ways of helping people through natural methods but these incidents are part of a greater plan.

 

49 And now if ye will deal kindly and truly with my master, tell me; and if not, tell me; that I may turn to the right hand, or to the left.' 50 Then Laban and Bethuel answered and said: 'The thing proceeds from the LORD; we cannot speak unto thee bad or good. 51 Behold, Rebekah is before thee, take her, and go, and let her be thy master's son's wife, as the LORD hath spoken.' 52 And it came to pass, that, when Abraham's servant heard their words, he bowed himself down to the earth unto the LORD. 53 And the servant brought forth jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment, and gave them to Rebekah; he gave also to her brother and to her mother precious things. 

 

Bethuel and Lavan were perhaps middle-class and not that wealthy even though they had servants, but with the gifts from Avraham for Rivka, they received good wealth.

 

54 And they did eat and drink, he and the men that were with him, and tarried all night; and they rose up in the morning, and he said: 'Send me away unto my master.' 55 And her brother and her mother said: 'Let the damsel abide with us a few days, at the least ten; after that she shall go.' 56 And he said unto them: 'Delay me not, seeing the LORD hath prospered my way; send me away that I may go to my master.' 

 

Since HASHEM Yisborach has prepared my way with quick success, please send me away with Rivka.

 

57 And they said: 'We will call the damsel, and inquire at her mouth.' 58 And they called Rebekah, and said unto her: 'Wilt thou go with this man?' And she said: 'I will go.' 

 

She agreed to go immediately with the tricks and tarrying of Lavan.

 

59 And they sent away Rebekah their sister, and her nurse, and Abraham's servant, and his men. 60 And they blessed Rebekah, and said unto her: 'Our sister, be thou the mother of thousands of ten thousands, and let thy seed possess the gate of those that hate them.' 61 And Rebekah arose, and her damsels, and they rode upon the camels, and followed the man. And the servant took Rebekah, and went his way. 

 

The Torah at this point does not mention any amount of damsels or their names. Later on in Parsha Vayishlach, we see that her nurse, Devorah, was with her and it seems others.

 

62 And Isaac came from the way of Beer-lahai-roi; for he dwelt in the land of the South. 63 And Isaac went out to meditate in the field at the eventide; and he lifted up his eyes, and saw, and, behold, there were camels coming. 

 

According to the Medrash he was davening Mincha and with the language Mincha Katana.

 

64 And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she alighted from the camel. 65 And she said unto the servant: 'What man is this that walks in the field to meet us?' And the servant said: "He is my master." And she took the veil and covered herself.­­ 

 

While I was becoming a Baal Teshuva and read about Rivka Emanu (our mother), I was perturbed that my great grandmother had a nose ring and covered her face like a Bedouin woman. I had to release where we came from in the ancient times as I was used to one grandmother who taught piano and another who was a 4th generation American. Yet the covering of the face was a sign of modesty and I assumed being betrothed or married. 

 

66 And the servant told Isaac all the things that he had done. 

 

He told how HASHEM was with him on the way and how miraculously he succeeded in his endeavors.

 

67 And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her. And Isaac was comforted for his mother. 

 

This is the Torah view of love and marriage. It is not the prince sweeping the princess off her feet, a Cinderella, a Snow White story but Yitzchak took Rivka into his mother’s tent and she became a wife. After they were partners and married for a while, they loved each other by being kind and a full partner for each other. And he was comforted for the loss of his mother with a good woman who would be a ‘Yiddisher Mama’.

 

25:1 And Abraham took another wife, and her name was Keturah. 

 

Once he took care of Yitzchak, he felt lonely without Sarah. He found somebody to be his wife and she bore him five more children and he saw grandchildren from them.

 

2 And she bore him Zimran, and Jokshan, and Medan, and Midian, and Ishbak, and Shuah. 3 And Jokshan begot Sheba, and Dedan. And the sons of Dedan were Asshurim, and Letushim, and Leummim. 4 And the sons of Midian: Ephah, and Epher, and Hanoch, and Abida, and Eldaah. All these were the children of Keturah. 5 And Abraham gave all that he had unto Isaac. 6 But unto the sons of the concubines, that Abraham had, Abraham gave gifts; and he sent them away from Isaac his son, while he yet lived, eastward, unto the east country. 

 

Midian Moshe would encounter but the others were in Ashur and India and they became Brahmans.

 

7 And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, a hundred threescore and fifteen years. 8 And Abraham expired, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people. 9 And Isaac and Ishmael his sons buried him in the cave of Machpelah, in the field of Ephron the son of Zohar the Hittite, which is before Mamre; 10 the field which Abraham purchased of the children of Heth; there was Abraham buried, and Sarah his wife. 11 And it came to pass after the death of Abraham, that God blessed Isaac his son; and Isaac dwelt by Beer-lahai-roi. 

 

This shows that Yishmael returned fully to monotheism and in later Life both he and Yitzchak were brotherly towards each other

 

12 Now these are the generations of Ishmael, Abraham's son, whom Hagar the Egyptian, Sarah's handmaid, bore unto Abraham. 13 And these are the names of the sons of Ishmael, by their names, according to their generations: the first-born of Ishmael, Nebaioth; and Kedar, and Adbeel, and Mibsam, 14 and Mishma, and Dumah, and Massa; 15 Hadad, and Tema, Jetur, Naphish, and Kedem; 16 these are the sons of Ishmael, and these are their names, by their villages, and by their encampments; twelve princes according to their nations. 17 And these are the years of the life of Ishmael, a hundred and thirty and seven years; and he expired and died; and was gathered unto his people. 18 And they dwelt from Havilah unto Shur that is before Egypt, as thou go toward Ashur: over against all his brethren he did settle.

 

Yishmael spread out to 12 nations and all these names are only mentioned for Esav would marry a daughter of Yishmael to make his father happy. So they had land from Africa onwards.

 

 

Editorial Americans meet your new President by Rabbi Pauli

 

According to the Halacha, as an American Jew, one is required to pray for the health and welfare of the president and vice president of the United States and that they will be good for you and all Yisrael.

 

Both Rabbi Shatz Shlita and Rabbi Mimran Shlita pointed out to me that Joe Jr in Hebrew is Gimel Vav Gimel and he is predicted in the days of the Moshiach. Whether the vote count was fair or like in Chicago in 1960, the dead were raised and Kennedy became President. We accepted Kennedy and must accept Joe Biden if the courts deem so.

 

The Israeli Press is praising him as a friend of Israel. As for me I remember him with Menachem Begin and the Banana Republic Speech of the Prime Minister. I am disappointed on a personal level but will accept the final declaration who is president.

 

Benny Ganz congratulated him and Europe is thrilled about America not being first. Radial Changes are in store to the world order. Putin, friend of Israel, is about to retire. Netanyahu may be replaced if the polls are correct. The world order is about to change drastically before Moshiach.

 

 

Stranger on a Train (Reader’s Digest 1948 – A reunion)

https://www.aish.com/sp/so/Stranger-on-a-Train.html?s=hp1

 

Marcel Sternberger, a photographer, was a creature of habit. He used to take the 9:09 Long Island Railroad to Woodside every morning. But on the morning of January 10, 1948, he didn’t do it. He decided to go and visit a sickly friend who was dying. He wanted to pay him a visit because he knew he wouldn’t be around that much longer. As a result, Marcel hopped on a different train – a train that he had never ridden before.

 

As he got on another man got up hurriedly to leave. This left a vacant seat which Marcel managed to get. Sitting next to him was a man who was reading a Hungarian newspaper. Marcel Sternberger, being of Hungarian decent himself, eventually struck up a conversation with the fellow. He asked the stranger what he was doing in New York City. The man replied that he was in the city looking for his wife.

 

“What do you mean, you’re looking for your wife?”

 

The stranger then said, “Well, my wife and I used to live in Dubreken in Hungary. During the war, I was taken away and made to work in the Ukraine burying the German dead. In time I managed to escape and run back to freedom. When I returned home, I found that my wife had also been taken away by the Nazis. One of the neighbors said they thought she had been taken to Auschwitz and therefore she would have been killed in the gas ovens.”

 

Someone else told him that they thought that the Americans had arrived in time to save some of the prisoners and had taken some of them to America. His wife might have been among those that were rescued. He said, “By a long shot, I’m hoping my wife is here.”

 

Marcel Sternberger kept listening to this story. The more he listened, the more familiar the account sounded to him. He asked, “What is your wife’s name?”

 

The stranger said, “My wife’s name is Maria. My last name is Paskin. It’s Maria Paskin.”

 

Sternberger took out his wallet and found a dog-eared piece of paper. As he looked down he saw the name Maria Paskin with a telephone number. He had met the lady at a party some time back. She had shared with him the same story that he had just heard. For some reason, he made a note of her name and number.

 

Marcel then said, “Look, I want to do something for you now. What is your name?”

 

He said, “My name is Bela Paskin.”

 

“Bela, get off with me at the next station.”

 

As they got off of the train, Marcel went over to a phone and called the number on the dog-eared piece of paper. After many, many, rings a feeble voice answered the phone. Marcel asked if he was speaking to Maria Paskin and she said that he was. He then went on to say, “Maria, my name is Marcel Sternberger. We met some weeks ago.”

 

She said that remembered him. He said, “Can you tell me what your husband’s name is?”

 

Rather shocked, the lady answered, “My husband’s name is Bela Paskin.”

 

“Can you tell me a little more about him?”

 

Again, the two stories were identical. Sternberger said, “Just a moment, I think you’re about to witness one of the greatest miracles you will ever see.” Then, as Marcel held on to the receiver, he called Bela Paskin into the booth and he said, “Would you please speak to this person?”

 

In about 10 seconds or so Bela’s expression changed. His look was beyond description. He then started to scream as the tears profusely poured down his creeks, “It’s Maria! It’s Maria! It’s Maria!”

 

Marcel Sternberger took him away from the telephone and hailed a taxi. He was going to go with his new friend to be a part of the moment when he decided that the occasion was too sacred for him to witness. So he put Bela Paskin into the cab, paid the taxi driver, told him where to take him, and sent him on to the reunion of his dreams.

 

 

This week’s second story was exceptional long.

Instead to help his Neshama, I bring down a prepared Drasha by Rabbi Jonathan Sachs Zal

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291083

 

A while back, a British newspaper, The Times, interviewed a prominent member of the Jewish community and a member of the House of Lords – let’s call him Lord X – on his 92nd birthday. The interviewer said, “Most people, when they reach their 92nd birthday, start thinking about slowing down. You seem to be speeding up. Why is that?”

 

Lord X’s reply was this: “When you get to 92, you see the door starting to close, and I have so much to do before the door closes that the older I get, the harder I have to work.”

 

We get a similar impression of Abraham in this week’s Parsha. Sarah, his constant companion throughout their journeys, has died. He is 137 years old. We see him mourn Sarah’s death, and then he moves into action. He engages in an elaborate negotiation to buy a plot of land in which to bury her. As the narrative makes clear, this is not a simple task. He confesses to the local people, Hittites, that he is “an immigrant and a resident among you” (Gen. 23:4), meaning that he knows he has no right to buy land. It will take a special concession on their part for him to do so.

 

The Hittites politely but firmly try to discourage him. He has no need to buy a burial plot: “No one among us will deny you his burial site to bury your dead.” (Gen. 23:6) He can bury Sarah in someone else’s graveyard. Equally politely but no less insistently, Abraham makes it clear that he is determined to buy land. In the end, he pays a highly inflated price (400 silver shekels) to do so.

 

The purchase of the Cave of Machpelah is evidently a highly significant event, because it is recorded in great detail and highly legal terminology, not just here, but three times subsequently in Genesis (here in 23:17 and subsequently in 25:9; 49:30; and 50:13), each time with the same formality. Here, for instance, is Jacob on his deathbed, speaking to his sons:

 

“Bury me with my fathers in the cave in the field of Ephron the Hittite, the cave in the field of Machpelah, near Mamre in Canaan, which Abraham bought along with the field as a burial place from Ephron the Hittite. There Abraham and his wife Sarah were buried, there Isaac and his wife Rebecca were buried, and there I buried Leah. The field and the cave in it were bought from the Hittites.” (Gen. 49:29-32)

 

Something significant is being hinted at here, otherwise why specify, each time, exactly where the field is and who Abraham bought it from?

 

Immediately after the story of land purchase, we read, “Abraham was old, well advanced in years, and God had blessed Abraham with everything.” (Gen. 24:1) Again this sounds like the end of a life, not a preface to a new course of action, and again our expectation is confounded. Abraham launches into a new initiative, this time to find a suitable wife for his son Isaac, who at this point is at least 37 years old. Abraham instructs his most trusted servant to go “to my native land, to my birthplace” (Gen. 24:2), to find the appropriate woman. He wants Isaac to have a wife who will share his faith and way of life. Abraham does not stipulate that she should come from his own family, but this seems to be an assumption hovering in the background.

 

As with the purchase of the field, this course of events is described in more detail than almost anywhere else in the Torah. Every conversational exchange is recorded. The contrast with the story of the Binding of Isaac could not be greater. There, almost everything – Abraham’s thoughts, Isaac’s feelings – is left unsaid. Here, everything is said. Again, the literary style calls our attention to the significance of what is happening, without telling us precisely what it is.

 

The explanation is simple and unexpected. Throughout the story of Abraham and Sarah, God promises them two things: children and a land. The promise of the land (“Rise, walk in the land throughout its length and breadth, for I will give it to you,” Gen. 13:17) is repeated no less than seven times. The promise of children occurs four times. Abraham’s descendants will be “a great nation” (Gen. 12:22), as many as “the dust of the earth” (Gen. 13.16), and “the stars in the sky” (Gen. 15:5); he will be the father not of one nation but of many (Gen. 17:5).

 

Despite this, when Sarah dies, Abraham has not a single inch of land that he can call his own, and he has only one child who will continue the covenant, Isaac, who is currently unmarried. Neither promise has been fulfilled. Hence the extraordinary detail of the two main stories in Chayei Sarah: the purchase of land and the finding of a wife for Isaac. There is a moral here, and the Torah slows down the speed of the narrative as it speeds up the action, so that we will not miss the point.

 

God promises, but we have to act.

 

God promised Abraham the land, but he had to buy the first field. God promised Abraham many descendants, but Abraham had to ensure that his son was married, and to a woman who would share the life of the covenant, so that Abraham would have, as we say today, “Jewish grandchildren.”

 

Despite all the promises, God does not and will not do it alone.

 

By the very act of self-limitation (tzimtzum) through which He creates the space for human freedom, God gives us responsibility, and only by exercising it do we reach our full stature as human beings. God saved Noah from the Flood, but Noah had to make the Ark. He gave the land of Israel to the people of Israel, but they had to fight the battles. God gives us the strength to act, but we have to do the deed. What changes the world, what fulfils our destiny, is not what God does for us but what we do for God.

 

That is what leaders understand, and it is what made Abraham the first Jewish leader. Leaders take responsibility for creating the conditions through which God’s purposes can be fulfilled. They are not passive but active – even in old age, like Abraham in this week’s Parsha. Indeed, in the chapter immediately following the story of finding a wife for Isaac, to our surprise, we read that Abraham remarries and has eight more children. Whatever else this tells us – and there are many interpretations (the most likely being that it explains how Abraham became “the father of many nations”) – it certainly conveys the point that Abraham stayed young the way Moses stayed young, “His eyes were undimmed and his natural energy unabated” (Deut. 34:7). Though action takes energy, it gives us energy. The contrast between Noah in old age and Abraham in old age could not be greater.

 

Perhaps, though, the most important point of this Parsha is that large promises – a land, countless children – become real through small beginnings.

 

Leaders begin with an envisioned future, but they also know that there is a long journey between here and there; we can only reach it one act at a time, one day at a time. There is no miraculous shortcut – and if there were, it would not help. The use of a shortcut would culminate in an achievement like Jonah’s gourd, which grew overnight, then died overnight. Abraham acquired only a single field and had just one son who would continue the covenant. Yet he did not complain, and he died serene and satisfied. Because he had begun. Because he had left future generations something on which to build.

 

All great change is the work of more than one generation, and none of us will live to see the full fruit of our endeavors.

 

Leaders see the destination, begin the journey, and leave behind them those who will continue it. That is enough to endow a life with immortality. DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR CHAYEI SARAH

 

Why does God use tzimtzum (self-limitation)? Does this essay inspire you to action? If so, how? What actions do you want to take to ensure you have begun the journey?

 

Click here to read the Family Edition of Chayei Sarah, Covenant & Conversation (written in 5779 and aimed at enhancing discussions about the ideas contained in the essay of Rabbi Sacks z''l) Link for the family Edition: https://rabbisacks.org/cc-family-edition-chayei-sarah-5779/

 

 

Trump might lose GA but not because of the Jewish Vote. https://www.algemeiner.com/2020/11/06/trump-edged-biden-50-49-in-georgia-jewish-vote-survey-shows/

 

From Shula the Shabbos Project. Report Putin with Parkinson to resign. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290672

 

Trump may take 4 States to Court due to irregularities. https://www.debka.com/us-election-stalled-as-trump-halts-vote-count-in-states-critical-to-biden-win/

 

Israel needs a friend in the White House. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/S1aNgUbYw

 

US sanctions Lebanese Friend of Hezballah. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290692

 

MI USPS whistle blower. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290617

 

Projector to Arabs weddings will lead to funerals. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290697

 

Massive Iceberg on course to collide with Island. https://www.wnd.com/2020/11/worlds-largest-iceberg-collision-course-island/

 

Milestone: Israel Prize Winner Poet Natan Zach, 89. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290683

 

Milestone: Rabbi David Feinstein, 91. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290701

Story from Aish HaTorah. https://www.aish.com/jw/s/Rabbi-Dovid-Feinstein-Torah-Greatness-and-Humility.html?s=ss2

 

Milestone: Lord retired Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sachs, 72. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290741

https://www.aish.com/sp/pg/Inspiring-Quotes-by-Rabbi-Jonathan-Sacks.html?s=sh1

https://www.aish.com/jw/s/Rabbi-Jonathan-Sacks-A-Personal-Tribute.html?s=shl

https://www.aish.com/jw/s/What-I-Learned-from-Rabbi-Jonathan-Sacks.html?s=hp2

 

Milestone: Elsa Raven, 91, ‘Save the clock tower lady’. https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/elsa-raven-back-to-the-future-actor-dies-at-91/ar-BB1aHMPw?ocid=msedgntp

 

Milestone: Alex Trebek, 80 and quiet dignity. https://www.aish.com/ci/s/Alex-Trebeks-Quiet-Dignity.html?s=ss1

 

One dies in Police Chase. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290698

 

Seychelles defines Israel as a Green Country. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290698

 

UN still in time warp. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290700

 

Facebook stops Iranian anti-Netanyahu. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290681

 

Brazilian Governor renounces father’s Nazi Slogans. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290682

 

Big Pharma to make $10,000,000,000 from Covid. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290673

 

Saar 6 ship a floating Iron Dome. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290634

 

The courts may solve the US Elections. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290645

 

Gaza orders Corona Lockdown. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290660

 

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, has mocked the aftermath of election day in the United States, saying that the vote has exposed the reality of US democracy. 

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290659

 

Pres. Trump has to persuade High Court to take his case in more than one State. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/Skz2GbEFP

 

Could making Netanyahu next President postpone his trial? https://www.ynetnews.com/article/SyC9rlJFv

 

Israel needs a friend in the Whitehouse. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/S1aNgUbYw

 

Massive Iceberg on course to collide with Island. https://www.wnd.com/2020/11/worlds-largest-iceberg-collision-course-island/

 

Milestone: Israel Prize Winner Poet Natan Zach, 89. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290683

 

Milestone: Rabbi David Feinstein, 91. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290701

 

Poll – Bennett almost equal to Netanyahu in the eyes of the Public: https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290722

 

Bennett 20 Netanyahu 30 (rise of 2 from other poll). https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291018

 

Bennett 23 Netanyahu 30 highest poll with Shas and Aguda strong. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291157

 

 

Inyanay Diyoma

 

 

Report Putin with Parkinson to resign. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290672

 

Trump may take 4 States to Court due to irregularities. https://www.debka.com/us-election-stalled-as-trump-halts-vote-count-in-states-critical-to-biden-win/

 

Israel needs a friend in the White House. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/S1aNgUbYw

 

US sanctions Lebanese Friend of Hezballah. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290692

 

MI USPS whistle blower. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290617

 

Projector to Arabs weddings will lead to funerals. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290697

 

Massive Iceberg on course to collide with Island. https://www.wnd.com/2020/11/worlds-largest-iceberg-collision-course-island/

 

Milestone: Israel Prize Winner Poet Natan Zach, 89. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290683

 

Milestone: Rabbi David Feinstein, 91. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290701

 

One dies in Police Chase. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290698

 

Seychelles defines Israel as a Green Country. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290698

 

UN still in time warp. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290700

 

Facebook stops Iranian anti-Netanyahu. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290681

 

Brazilian Governor renounces father’s Nazi Slogans. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290682

 

Big Pharma to make $10,000,000,000 from Covid. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290673

 

Saar 6 ship a floating Iron Dome. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290634

 

The courts may solve the US Elections. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290645

 

Gaza orders Corona Lockdown. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290660

 

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, has mocked the aftermath of election day in the United States, saying that the vote has exposed the reality of US democracy. 

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290659

 

Pres. Trump has to persuade High Court to take his case in more than one State. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/Skz2GbEFP

 

Could making Netanyahu next President postpone his trial? https://www.ynetnews.com/article/SyC9rlJFv

 

Israel needs a friend in the Whitehouse. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/S1aNgUbYw

 

70,000,000 are not racists. https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/bill-maher-malcolm-nance-trump-voters

 

PLO welcomes Joe Biden. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/B15QclSKP

 

Poll – Bennett almost equal to Netanyahu in the eyes of the Public: https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290722

 

European Leaders happy with Biden as USA is not first. https://www.debka.com/us-election-stalled-as-trump-halts-vote-count-in-states-critical-to-biden-win/

 

Biden calls to heal America. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290738

 

Ganz congratulates Biden praises Trump. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290739

 

Missing Ballots found hmmm. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290726

 

Stores reopen and streets filled. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/H1mpJirKP

 

Thank you President Trump. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290785

 

Democrat Hardliner you bet on the wrong horse. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290777

 

Fox suspends Judge Jeanette over voter fraud. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290783

 

Israel should reconsider Iran threat. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290754

 

Milestone: Elsa Raven, 91, ‘Save the clock tower lady’. https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/elsa-raven-back-to-the-future-actor-dies-at-91/ar-BB1aHMPw?ocid=msedgntp

 

Trump planning a string of Iranian Sanctions. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290821

 

Biden wants to rejoin Iran Deal. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290825

 

Dr. Oren calls for talks with Biden. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290827

 

TX social worker has 134 counts of election fraud. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290805

 

GOI refused health advice blamed us – Grotto. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290815

 

Women in special force suffer physical damage. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290792

 

Azerbaijan winning the war in Armenia. https://www.debka.com/war-with-armenia-tilts-in-favor-of-azerbaijan/

 

Biden could put a stop to Avraham Accords. https://www.ynetnews.com/magazine/article/S1sGn3BKv

 

Did Mutated Mink Corona Virus reach Israel? https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290852

 

Pfizer Covid19 Vaccine 90% effective. https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/us-stocks-november-9-2020

Israel negotiates with Pfizer. https://www.algemeiner.com/2020/11/09/israel-in-advanced-talks-to-purchase-millions-of-doses-of-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-i-see-light-at-end-of-tunnel-netanyahu-says/

 

Iran barely responds to Biden. https://www.algemeiner.com/2020/11/09/iranian-regime-gives-tepid-response-to-suggestion-of-revived-nuclear-deal-with-incoming-biden-administration-in-us/

 

Finland only bans female mutilation not Circumcision. https://www.algemeiner.com/2020/11/09/finnish-jews-relieved-after-legislation-targeting-female-mutilation-exempts-circumcision-of-males/

 

Hamas wants children as cannon fodder. https://www.algemeiner.com/2020/11/09/israel-shin-bet-reveals-hamas-efforts-to-recruit-minors-for-west-bank-attacks/

 

Milestone chief PLO negotiator dies. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/r1f6YAvFv

 

As virus cases elevate, Israel mulls delaying opening of malls and gyms. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/Hkfsq3Dtv

 

AG Barr checking voting irregularities. How can sudden 125,000 ballots appear and not one Trump voter among them? https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rJ8X112Dtw

 

Giuliani has evidence massive voting by dead people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaVEppGkTQw&feature=emb_logo

 

Israel, the Sunnis and the pro-Iran USA. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290874

 

Virus of antisemitism worse than Corona. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290917

 

OU – Ritz Carlton in Bahrain to be Kosher. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290902

 

Death cases lower infection rate on rise. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290932

 

Bill to have Dead Sea and Eilat Green Zone cancelled. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/BkxRM7wYw

 

Nearly extinct Salamander seen in north. https://www.ynetnews.com/environment/article/ryQOQGwFP#autoplay

 

Ed-Op S. Meir with Trump out lay low, use Ganz. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/H115OSStw

 

Ed-Op B. Leshem with Trump out Netanyahu worries. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/SJlL700IFD

 

Kamala Harris to restore aid to the PLO. https://www.jpost.com/us-elections/kamala-harris-we-will-restore-aid-to-palestinians-renew-us-plo-ties-647811

 

Trump keeps working for a Nobel Prize. https://www.debka.com/trump-close-to-bagging-morocco-for-another-peace-deal-with-israel/

 

US imposes sanctions on individuals and companies in Iran. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/ByAEuVdFw

 

Early Islamic Coins uncovered in Yerushalayim. https://www.ynetnews.com/travel/article/Hy9Ij5LFw

 

Red or Blue Netanyahu will protect Israeli interests. https://www.ynetnews.com/travel/article/Hy9Ij5LFw

 

Stabbing in Crown Heights on Camera. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290994

 

Fragile Armenian – Azerbaijan cease fire. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290949

 

In between Presidents by Dr. M. Kedar. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290957

 

EU and Israel combat antisemitism racism. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290969

 

Hezballah drone downed. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290966

 

What will Israel get for F35 deal? https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290962

 

Brazil halts trial of Chinese Covid Vaccine. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290944

 

Recommendation for mandatory vaccine law. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/290944

 

Cases of Corona drop. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291011

 

Fort from Ally of King David found. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291007

 

Iranian stock pile of Uranium grows. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291079

 

Hotels in Dead Sea – Eilat to reopen next week. https://www.ynetnews.com/business/article/ByLjPuctP

 

Israel to close Vaccine deal 7 million doses for 2021. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/ryo2Wu5Yv

 

Soldier found dead. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rJI511t9Kv

 

Ed-Op Yemeni at least HaKaras HaTov to Trump. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rkiHmxdtv

 

USPS Whistleblower scared by FBI Agent. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291066

 

Israel on the verge of another election. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291057

 

Israeli President welcomes 5 new Ambassadors. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291051

 

Israel forefront in tech security. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291036

 

Canada prepare internment camps. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291046

 

Demanding election integrity. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291031

 

Bahrain PM dies at 84. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291013

 

Israeli forced vaccination way to totalitarianism. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291024

 

After Justice with Jeanine suspended, Trump plans to wreck Fox News. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291113

 

No easing of Covid Restrictions. https://www.debka.com/israel-hesitates-at-crossroads-on-covid-exit-strategy-infection-still-high/

 

Adams insists that Biden will pressure Iran. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291146

 

Pompeo visits Yehuda and Shomron ahead of 2024. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291140

 

Software System could have deleted 2.7 million votes. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291144

 

234 pages of evidence of voter fraud in one State. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/291112

 

Israeli Court challenges constitutional law. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/ByOyyGiYv

 

First vaccines to arrive in Jan. (probably for V.I.P.’s) https://www.ynetnews.com/article/SkTjDJitD

 

Ed-Op Israel should save its security needs for emergencies. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/BJn9gj5Kw

 

Legionnaires’ disease found in south. https://www.ynetnews.com/health_science/article/Hya5I9qtv

 

Lead Investigator of two Netanyahu Files retires. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/BkZnRC9Fv

 

A healthy, happy and peaceful Shabbos rest,

Rachamim Pauli