Friday, December 17, 2021

Parsha Vayehi, txo stories, news

 

The soul of Rachel bas Chana has found eternal rest and no more prayers needed.

 

 

Parsha Vayehi

 

 

The first 2,255 years of the world from Creation to the passing of the Avos is ending. According to the Chabad time line, Yosef died in the year 2309 and that is the year Sefer Beresheis Ends. Sefer Shemos starts with the death of all the fathers of the Tribes in the year 2332 and after that the slavery begins

 

47:28 And Jacob lived in the land of Egypt seventeen years; so the days of Jacob, the years of his life, were a hundred forty and seven years. 

 

Another Vayehi and another tragedy this time Yacov's death bed.

 

29 And the time drew near that Israel must die; and he called his son Joseph, and said unto him: 'If now I have found favor in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me; bury me not, I pray thee, in Egypt. 30 But when I sleep with my fathers, thou shalt carry me out of Egypt, and bury me in their burying-place.' And he said: 'I will do as thou hast said.' 

 

Avraham had Eliezer swear by the Bris in Parsha Chayei Sara. Yacov is doing the same here. My generation grew up on a man's word and handshake. The world before Moshiach is different. Sotah 49B "and the truth is absent". It is a world full of liars. BUT THE STORY OF REBBE MEIR BAAL HANES IN LUZ shows that the truth keeps the angel of death away.

 

As I write about the sad story of losing Yacov a drama is playing behind the scenes with my wife and her mother in Belinson Hospital. The atmosphere is similar to that of tribes at this time. A good hospital and some of the best doctors – Yosef had the best of Egypt and Israel has top notch doctors. The drama going on with the brothers is the drama I am feeling in the background this week.

 

31 And he said: 'Swear unto me.' And he swore unto him. And Israel bowed down upon the bed's head.

 

Yacov was tense would he be buried next to his fathers and would he be buried next to his beloved Leah. We also see Leah as being the hated wife. We see this wrong. Rachel was one big infatuation from the moment Yacov saw her to her death. Leah and Rachel he consulted with regarding Lavan. Leah was a help mate to him in every sense of the word. He was never infatuated by her beauty but she would lie next to him in eternity while Mama Rachel would guard the children unto Moshiach.

 

48:1 And it came to pass after these things, that one said to Joseph: 'Behold, thy father is sick.' And he took with him his two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim. 2 And one told Jacob, and said: 'Behold, thy son Joseph cometh unto thee.' And Israel strengthened himself, and sat upon the bed. 3 And Jacob said unto Joseph: 'God Almighty appeared unto me at Luz in the land of Canaan, and blessed me, 4 and said unto me: Behold, I will make thee fruitful, and multiply thee, and I will make of thee a company of peoples; and will give this land to thy seed after thee for an everlasting possession. 5 And now thy two sons, who were born unto thee in the land of Egypt before I came unto thee into Egypt, are mine; Ephraim and Manasseh, even as Reuben and Simeon, shall be mine. 

 

Yacov wanted only Rachel as his wife, she is the woman he worked for. Her son deserved the inheritance of a Bechor or double portion. Yosef splits into two tribes Ephraim and Menashe. They are considered full tribes like each of my other children.

 

6 And thy issue, that thou beget after them, shall be thine; they shall be called after the name of their brethren in their inheritance. 

 

If you and your wife/wives have other children, they shall be called by their brother's names.

 

7 And as for me, when I came from Paddan, Rachel died unto me in the land of Canaan in the way, when there was still some way to come unto Ephrath; and I buried her there in the way to Ephrath--the same is Bethlehem.' 8 And Israel beheld Joseph's sons, and said: 'Who are these?' 9 And Joseph said unto his father: 'They are my sons, whom God hath given me here.' And he said: 'Bring them, I pray thee, unto me, and I will bless them.' 10 Now the eyes of Israel were dim for age, so that he could not see. And he brought them near unto him; and he kissed them, and embraced them. 

 

Similar to Yitzchak working out in the sun for years affected his eyes besides the age both seem to have developed cataracts.

 

11 And Israel said unto Joseph: 'I had not thought to see thy face; and, lo, God hath let me see thy seed also.' 12 And Joseph brought them out from between his knees; and he fell down on his face to the earth. 13 And Joseph took them both, Ephraim in his right hand toward Israel's left hand, and Manasseh in his left hand toward Israel's right hand, and brought them near unto him. 14 And Israel stretched out his right hand, and laid it upon Ephraim's head, who was the younger, and his left hand upon Manasseh's head, guiding his hands wittingly; for Manasseh was the first-born. 15 And he blessed Joseph, and said: 'The God before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac did walk, the God who hath been my shepherd all my life long unto this day, 16 the angel who hath redeemed me from all evil, bless the lads; and let my name be named in them, and the name of my fathers Abraham and Isaac; and let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth.' 17 And when Joseph saw that his father was laying his right hand upon the head of Ephraim, it displeased him, and he held up his father's hand, to remove it from Ephraim's head unto Manasseh's head. 18 And Joseph said unto his father: 'Not so, my father, for this is the first-born; put thy right hand upon his head.' 

 

Yosef wanted his elder son blessed first by his father.

 

19 And his father refused, and said: 'I know it, my son, I know it; he also shall become a people, and he also shall be great; howbeit his younger brother shall be greater than he, and his seed shall become a multitude of nations.' 

 

Yisrael purposely put Ephraim before Menashe.

 

20 And he blessed them that day, saying: 'By thee shall Israel bless, saying: God make thee as Ephraim and as Manasseh.' And he set Ephraim before Manasseh. 

 

We shall see this with Yoshua and the tribe leading the 10 tribes of the Northern Kingdom of Yisrael.

 

21 And Israel said unto Joseph: 'Behold, I die; but God will be with you, and bring you back unto the land of your fathers. 22 Moreover I have given to thee one portion above thy brethren, which I took out of the hand of the Amorite with my sword and with my bow.'

 

When I fought in Schem at the age of 97, I still had strength to fight battles but after 50 more years, I can barely hold up myself on my bed.

 

49:1 And Jacob called unto his sons, and said: 'Gather yourselves together, that I may tell you that which shall befall you in the end of days. 2 Assemble yourselves, and hear, ye sons of Jacob; and hearken unto Israel your father. 3 Reuben, thou art my first-born, my might, and the first-fruits of my strength; the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power. 4 Unstable as water, have not thou the excellency; because thou went up to thy father's bed; then defiled thou it--he went up to my couch. 

 

You might have been jealous for your mother to move my couch from a different tent to hers but you had no right to do so. With going down unto Egypt the second time for food you foolishly would have given up two sons. You are unstable like water seeking its own level.

 

5 Simeon and Levi are brethren; weapons of violence their kinship. 6 Let my soul not come into their council; unto their assembly let my glory not be united; for in their anger they slew men, and in their self-will they houghed oxen. 7 Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce, and their wrath, for it was cruel; I will divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel. 

 

Their anger was crushed. Shimon got swallowed up by Yehuda and Levi was scattered in 24 cities.

 

8 Judah, thee shall thy brethren praise; thy hand shall be on the neck of thine enemies; thy father's sons shall bow down before thee. 9 Judah is a lion's whelp; from the prey, my son, thou art gone up. He stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as a lioness; who shall rouse him up? 10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor the ruler's staff from between his feet, as long as men come to Shiloh; and unto him shall the obedience of the peoples be. 

 

From Yehuda will come the king and Moshiach.

 

11 Binding his foal unto the vine, and his ass's colt unto the choice vine; he washes his garments in wine, and his vesture in the blood of grapes; 12 His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk. 

 

His land will be good for cattle and vineyards.

 

13 Zebulun shall dwell at the shore of the sea, and he shall be a shore for ships, and his flank shall be upon Zidon. 

 

He shall grow and expand even further north and trade by sea.

 

14 Issachar is a large-boned ass, couching down between the sheep-folds. 15 For he saw a resting-place that it was good, and the land that it was pleasant; and he bowed his shoulder to bear, and became a servant under task-work. 

 

His work is learning and preserving Torah.

 

16 Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel. 17 Dan shall be a serpent in the way, a horned snake in the path, that bites the horse's heels, so that his rider falls backward. 18 I wait for Thy salvation, O LORD. 

 

Shimshon the Judge came from Dan.

 

19 Gad, a troop shall troop upon him; but he shall troop upon their heel. 

 

The translation is correct but it is a play on words with the name Gad.

 

20 As for Asher, his bread shall be fat, and he shall yield royal dainties.  21 Naphtali is a hind let loose: he giveth goodly words. 22 Joseph is a fruitful vine, a fruitful vine by a fountain; its branches run over the wall. 23 The archers have dealt bitterly with him, and shot at him, and hated him; 24 But his bow abode firm, and the arms of his hands were made supple, by the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, from thence, from the Shepherd, the Stone of Israel, 

 

This is a hint on the story of the wife of Potiphar where a young man gave his Yetzer over to the All Mighty as he remembered the teachings of his father.

 

25 Even by the God of thy father, who shall help thee, and by the Almighty, who shall bless thee, with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that couches beneath, blessings of the breasts, and of the womb. 26 The blessings of thy father are mighty beyond the blessings of my progenitors unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills; they shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of the prince among his brethren. 27 Benjamin is a wolf that ravens; in the morning he devours the prey, and at even he divides the spoil.' 28 All these are the twelve tribes of Israel, and this is it that their father spoke unto them and blessed them; every one according to his blessing he blessed them. 29 And he charged them, and said unto them: 'I am to be gathered unto my people; bury me with my fathers in the cave that is in the field of Ephron the Hittite, 30 in the cave that is in the field of Machpelah, which is before Mamre, in the land of Canaan, which Abraham bought with the field from Ephron the Hittite for a possession of a burying-place. 31 There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife; there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife; and there I buried Leah. 32 The field and the cave that is therein, which was purchased from the children of Heth.' 33 And when Jacob made an end of charging his sons, he gathered up his feet into the bed, and expired, and was gathered unto his people.

 

This week my mother-in-law called for her father and my wife said 'I am by your side' and the old lady replied 'let me go". Yacov finished his blessings and was ready to be gathered unto his people.

 

50:1 And Joseph fell upon his father's face, and wept upon him, and kissed him. 2 And Joseph commanded his servants the physicians to embalm his father. And the physicians embalmed Israel. 3 And forty days were fulfilled for him; for so are fulfilled the days of embalming. And the Egyptians wept for him threescore and ten days. 4 And when the days of weeping for him were past, Joseph spoke unto the house of Pharaoh, saying: 'If now I have found favor in your eyes, speak, I pray you, in the ears of Pharaoh, saying: 5 My father made me swear, saying: Lo, I die; in my grave which I have dug for me in the land of Canaan, there shalt thou bury me. Now therefore let me go up, I pray thee, and bury my father, and I will come back.' 6 And Pharaoh said: 'Go up, and bury thy father, according as he made thee swear.' 7 And Joseph went up to bury his father; and with him went up all the servants of Pharaoh, the elders of his house, and all the elders of the land of Egypt, 8 and all the house of Joseph, and his brethren, and his father's house; only their little ones, and their flocks, and their herds, they left in the land of Goshen. 9 And there went up with him both chariots and horsemen; and it was a very great company. 

 

The honor guard served two purposes, to make sure the mourners were safe and to make sure that Yosef would return to Pharaoh.

It is a matter of honoring a person but also being careful with that person.

 

10 And they came to the threshing-floor of Atad, which is beyond the Jordan, and there they wailed with a very great and sore wailing; and he made a mourning for his father seven days. 11 And when the inhabitants of the land, the Canaanites, saw the mourning in the floor of Atad, they said: 'This is a grievous mourning to the Egyptians.' Wherefore the name of it was called Abel-mizraim, which is beyond the Jordan. 

 

The mourning began outside of the land of idolatry in the land that would become Eretz Yisrael in the future.

 

12 And his sons did unto him according as he commanded them. 13 For his sons carried him into the land of Canaan, and buried him in the cave of the field of Machpelah, which Abraham bought with the field, for a possession of a burying-place, of Ephron the Hittite, in front of Mamre. 14 And Joseph returned into Egypt, he, and his brethren, and all that went up with him to bury his father, after he had buried his father. 15 And when Joseph's brethren saw that their father was dead, they said: 'It may be that Joseph will hate us, and will fully requite us all the evil which we did unto him.' 16 And they sent a message unto Joseph, saying: 'Thy father did command before he died, saying: 17 So shall ye say unto Joseph: Forgive, I pray thee now, the transgression of thy brethren, and their sin, for that they did unto thee evil. And now, we pray thee, forgive the transgression of the servants of the God of thy father.' And Joseph wept when they spoke unto him. 

 

Yosef just lost his beloved father and his brothers did not know him well enough to trust him.

 

18 And his brethren also went and fell down before his face; and they said: 'Behold, we are thy bondmen.' 19 And Joseph said unto them: 'Fear not; for am I in the place of God? 20 And as for you, ye meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive. 21 Now therefore fear ye not; I will sustain you, and your little ones.' And he comforted them, and spoke kindly unto them. 

 

You unwittingly did HASHEM's will.

 

22 And Joseph dwelt in Egypt, he, and his father's house; and Joseph lived a hundred and ten years. 23 And Joseph saw Ephraim's children of the third generation; the children also of Machir the son of Manasseh were born upon Joseph's knees. 

 

He had the pleasure of being a great grandfather in his old age.

 

24 And Joseph said unto his brethren: 'I die; but God will surely remember you, and bring you up out of this land unto the land which He swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.' 25 And Joseph took an oath of the children of Israel, saying: 'God will surely remember you, and ye shall carry up my bones from hence.' 

 

It would be Moshe using the DIVINE NAME to find the bones and keep the oath.

 

26 So Joseph died, being a hundred and ten years old. And they embalmed him, and he was put in a coffin in Egypt.

 

He was buried in Mitzrayim as a V.I.P. but to keep his body there, a river was diverted over the coffin and burial chamber.

 

 

Chazak – Chazak v’ nit Chazak

 

 

Short film subtitles how Artist and Writer aka the Rey Family escaped the Nazis and the French Fifi became the American Curious George. https://www.aish.com/jw/s/Curious-Georges-Daring-Escape-from-the-Nazis.html?s=shl

 

Pope Leo X and the printing of the Talmud in 1519. https://www.aish.com/jw/s/The-Pope-who-Printed-the-Talmud.html?s=hp2

 

 

From the One in a Million Mako 12 TV Series by Nes-Li

Do I have it in me to be a pilot

 

 

There are dozens of Charedi Soldiers in the IDF. Some are sort of modern Charedim like myself that don't wear the hat and suit. Others like my son and the pilot in our story look perhaps so Charedi that nobody could believe they served on a front line position.

 

Our story begins in Haifa. Nadav Ephrat is in his upper High School years. On weekends – generally synonymous with Friday afternoons and Saturdays he is learning to fly a piper aircraft from IAF pilot Aaron Sagi in his spare time. Nadav loves the idea of flying and dreams of becoming a pilot but he is a Sephardic boy and most pilots in the IAF are Ashkenazim. One day Aaron gets an assignment to a Phantom Base a good distance from Haifa. He bids farewell to his students. Nadav asks him do you think I have what it takes to be an IAF Pilot. Aaron tells him that he should try his luck. They part ways.

 

Nadav graduates High School and asks to be an IAF pilot. He passes the first test and with close to 500 other soldiers goes through the first part of the training course. He then goes into the next stage the pilot survival course where there are about 100 soldiers. If he passes this, then he goes on to the third stage which is advanced survival and flight school. Some of the cadets will be trained in flying refueling planes, transport planes, troop planes, others in helicopters and a few will go on to become fighter pilots or navigators. Despite the difficult nature of the course, Nadav thinks about Aaron's words and continues onwards in his training and learning.

 

Nadav is chosen to be a helicopter pilot. Helicopter pilots can be support helicopters for battle, troop carriers or rescue helicopters.

 

On Oct. 6 1973, the Yom Kippur War breaks out. Most of the Skyhawk planes are knocked out by surface to air missiles among them is the pilot who will become a Baal Teshuva, Noach Hertz who loses a leg. I wrote about his story and captivity a number of years ago and perhaps worth repeating for a few hundred readers that I did not have back then.

 

Most of the Phantom Planes survive as their motors contain Tungsten that is strong enough to resist the Surface to Air Missile Blast. However, Aaron Sagi is not that lucky. His plane takes a direct hit. He manages to parachute to safety behind enemy lines. It is a matter of time before he is swept up and captured, tortured like Noach Hertz was.

Aaron can't seem to find his radio signal devise that acts like a GPS homing signal.

 

Fate is about to take a Mida Kneged Mida (measure for measure) turn. Out of all the pilots in the Helicopter Rescue, Aaron's former student Nadav is sent to rescue him. Nadav has no night vision googles like the Syrians. He must rely on the approximate area where Aaron went down. He circles a few times but there is no signal. Nadav too is in danger of being hit by the Syrians. He makes one last try. Aaron hears the helicopter but he is far away. Somehow, Aaron finds and deploys the radio signal that is caught at the very time that Nadav was about to give up.

 

Nadav rescues Aaron and transports him to a hospital for a check-up teacher and student are temporarily united. Nadav recognizes the miracle of Mida Kneged Mida and how Aaron helped him in is effort to become a pilot. Nadav becomes Charedi as does Noach Hertz. Others like Aaron are not moved to become religious.

 

 

How a Jewish Mother smashed the glass ceiling at a prestigious Wall Street Law Firm by Faygie Holt

https://www.aish.com/ci/w/How-a-Jewish-Mother-Smashed-the-Glass-Ceiling-at-a-Prestigious-Wall-Street-Law-Firm.html?s=sh1

 

 

When one thinks of a high-powered, Wall Street attorney, they are not likely to picture Lydia Kess. Yet 50 years ago, Kess, an Orthodox Jewish mother from Brooklyn, N.Y., shattered gender and religious stereotypes, smashing the glass ceiling for women along the way by becoming the first female and first Orthodox partner at the major Manhattan law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell. All of which she did without compromising on her Jewish values.

 

“I was always driven to succeed,” Lydia says in an exclusive Aish.com interview. “I wasn’t pushing hard for the gleam of dollars dancing in my head. I was pushing hard for professional success the same way I did when I played basketball or volleyball as a girl; I wanted to win the game.”

 

Born in 1935, Lydia Esrog grew up in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Her mother, Marion, was a schoolteacher and her father, Shimshon, would sit and learn Torah. Lydia, who admits she was quite the tomboy growing up and always corralling other girls to play sports, was smart beyond her years. She repeatedly skipped grades in elementary school, graduating from what was then Pace College with a degree in accounting when she was just 18.

 

“It was the most wonderful blessing in my life,” Lydia said. “It would have been awful to be in school. I was very fortunate to have had a head start on life.”

 

As a student, Lydia began to challenge the male hierarchy, though she didn’t do so with a bullhorn or a platform. She did so by just going about her daily life. One of only three girls in her college class, she chose not to eat in the designated “women’s cafeteria.” Instead, she simply sat down in the regular dining hall one day and that was that. "After that, they closed up the women’s cafeteria,” she recalls. “I didn’t have to do anything else, I just sat down.”

 

She also graduated at the top of her class, besting all her male counterparts.

 

But while she may have had a head start on life, she didn’t have a head’s up on her classmates when it came to finding a job, despite her class ranking. “I went to Pace College on a full scholarship at a time when it was the premier school for accounting. No one in my class had trouble getting a job.” No one, but Lydia herself.

 

“One firm offered me an office job, but I wanted to work in auditing. Finally, Price Waterhouse had a small-business department, which was out of the mainstream of their usual activities, and they offered me a job. I’ll never forget my first day on the job. My co-worker, Richard Armstrong, was the first person to greet me and he said, ‘Lydia, we’ve been saving all the lousy jobs for you.’ It was 1954, not 2021, there was no point in answering back because it was the reality and he was just saying aloud what others thought. “I was lucky I even had a job.”

 

Not content to sit still, Lydia was driven to dream bigger and take on new academic challenges. Though employees at the firm in those days were not allowed to go to night school – it was grounds for dismal – Lydia secretly enrolled in Brooklyn Law School in 1956.

 

A year later, at the age of 22, Lydia became a certified public accountant and got married. Despite the CPA designation, Lydia’s career aspirations took a back seat to motherhood as she gave birth to three girls in three years. Her only son was born quite a few years later.

 

It was during this time that Lydia’s thirst for more knowledge dovetailed with her return to her Jewish roots. She was pushing her two very young children in a carriage down a busy street in Brooklyn when she saw a sign in a store window announcing Rosh Hashanah services. It had been years since she’d celebrated the Jewish New Year, but there was something about that sign that called out to her.

 

“I had dropped out of Jewish observance,” she readily admits. “It was a slow process that started in high school and accelerated in college and in post-graduate school. I hadn’t been thinking about and wasn’t focused on celebrating Rosh Hashanah in any way, shape or form. But there was the sign, so I signed up to attend and hoped my kids would stay quiet during services. It was one of the miracles of my life.

 

“I wasn’t looking for something to occupy my time. I was busy all day with the children and I was going to law school at night. But I was seeking an inspiring structure to inform my life; to know what it’s really all about.”

 

After attending the High Holiday services, she began going to the Young Israel of Prospect Park for Shabbat services. She credits Rabbi Naftali, zt’l, and Rebbitzen Aviva Langsam, the congregation’s leaders, with being very welcoming and letting her and her children into their home. “They held my hand as I made progress, religiously, slowly but continually.” The two families remain friends to this day.

 

Lydia finished Brooklyn Law School’s night program in 1962, and at that point she was fully Shabbat observant. “I knew that would an issue with respect to finding employment, but it turned out it wasn’t as significant as the fact that I had three children. That blew the minds of people who were interviewing me,” she recalls, adding that at that time, “there were few, if any, Shabbat-observant men working at Wall Street law firms. It was the epitome of waspy America and the fact that I was a night-school graduate from Brooklyn Law was not helpful.”

 

Though she had few, or no, prospects, Lydia was determined to find a job with only the best of the best firms. She sent out letter after letter, but no one answered. “So I took my resume and went up and down the elevators at all the major office buildings with law firms, they were all located in the same area, and I would go in and ask for an interview.”

 

Lydia became an attorney with one of the best Wall Street law firms in New York City, stepping into the epitome of the upper-class American, male-dominated corporate world.

 

When she entered the offices of Davis Polk & Wardwell, the receptionist thought she was looking for an office job. Eventually, she was directed to someone who could interview her as a lawyer. She underwent two days of interviewing, because as she says with a chuckle, “I was an oddball.” Her gamble paid off and after months of searching in January 1964, Lydia became an attorney with one of the best Wall Street law firms in New York City, stepping into the epitome of the upper-class American, male-dominated corporate world.

 

Her work ethic shined through. Lydia never complained about her workload. She would schedule her vacation days around the Jewish holidays. As for being out for Shabbat, “there was no precedent for that. I was very fortunate that the partners at Davis Polk were devoutly Protestant and very active in their churches, so they respected religion. As long as you delivered the work product on a timely basis, that was all they expected. When there were meetings on Friday afternoon or Shabbat, I would have to find someone to substitute for me. It’s a great credit to the people that I worked with that they would step in and cover for me.

 

“The incident which stands out most vividly in my mind was during the great merger acquisition craze of the 1980s. We had to give an opinion on a deal. Billions of dollars were at stake and the whole department had to agree to the conclusion because so much was riding on it. It was a transatlantic sale, and we had to give our response by the opening of work on Monday, London time.” That meant they would need to meet on Saturday, but it was the middle of July and Shabbat didn’t end until well after 9pm.

 

To accommodate Lydia, all of the tax partners came into the office very late that Saturday night. “They didn’t come with a grouchy, antagonistic attitude,” Lydia says. “They took it all in stride and we stayed there until 4 in the morning.”

 

As an observant Jew, she was determined to never use religion as an excuse, and even went so far as to go into the office on days her colleagues were home celebrating their holidays. “You shouldn’t take their holidays and your holidays. That’s not the way to proceed.” As she counsels young observant women who are going into corporate America, “You have to be beyond reproach.”

 

If God doesn’t give you the physical and mental strength there is nothing to feel guilty about, you just have to find a different way to express your talents and abilities.

 

She also got by with very little sleep and warns women in her community who are pursuing a high-pressure job that they will need to be “sharp on very few hours of sleep. You can’t make mistakes. You can’t take shortcuts. If God doesn’t give you the physical and mental strength there is nothing to feel guilty about, you just have to find a different way to express your talents and abilities.”

 

Lydia had to overcome challenges professionally as a woman in what was then truly a man’s world. For instance, when she became pregnant with her son, she tried to hide it because the culture was still one where women primarily didn’t work after having a child. After collapsing in an office elevator one afternoon, Lydia was forced to come clean with her colleagues at Davis Polk. Then she asked for the moon – paid maternity leave – and got it, becoming the first woman at the firm to do so, thus changing the trajectory for many other women.

 

“I wasn’t anxious to be a trailblazer, I just wanted to get a job and be promoted.” And promoted she was, all the way to becoming partner in 1971. It was a position no other woman had ever occupied at Davis Polk & Wardwell or for the most part at any Wall Street law firm.

 

But just because her name was on the letterhead at the firm, the only woman among a list of the 23 male partners and another nine counsels at the time, doesn’t mean it was all smooth sailing. She had been planning to attend the firm’s black-tie dinner after being made partner and had even bought a gown to wear to the event.

 

“The dinner was at the Yale Club and women were not allowed past the front desk,” she recalls. “The managing partner called me into his office and said, ‘I’m sorry but you can’t come this year, but this is the last time it will happen.’”

 

She also had to circumvent entry rules at a posh Park Avenue private club to attend a board meeting at Pace University that was being held there instead of the university where most meetings were held. Despite being a member of the Board of Trustees, Lydia was not allowed to ride in the “regular elevator.”

 

“I had to take the freight elevator up, but on the way down, I just got in with everyone else. This was all very normal throughout the 1970s.”

 

Barnard College clearly recognized the trailblazer that Lydia was, referring to her in an internal memo in November 1971 as “the top woman lawyer at Davis, Polk & Wardell.” Just a few weeks later, they invited Lydia to a meeting of the Barnard Lawyers’ Committee, made up of mostly Barnard alumni who were working as lawyers, and decided as a “public service” to take on “selected cases of job discrimination.”

 

In the 1978 Esquire article titled “Queen of the WASPS,” the author wrote that corporate firm Morgan Stanley relies on a 42-year-old partner at Davis Polk for tax advice before making multimillion-dollar decisions. “There’s nothing terribly unusual about that. The Morgan/Davis Polk relationship is just another of the marriages of great male-WASP institutions that have been part of the culture of American high finance since the turn of the century. Except that the lawyer whose tax advice the people at Morgan are addicted to is a far cry from the pinstriped WASPs who fill the offices… She’s Lydia Kess an Orthodox Jew and mother of three who takes the subway in from Brooklyn every morning.”

 

She was, the article said, “widely considered to be one of the two or three of the best corporate tax lawyers in New York and is treated that way.”

 

On the home front, Lydia’s marriage ended in divorce and she and her children moved to Boro Park, Brooklyn. She remarried in 1983 in a match that Lydia says was “truly made in heaven.”

 

“On paper it was the most bizarre combination – a high-powered Wall Street attorney and someone who was sitting and learning Torah all day, who had survived the Auschwitz death camp during the Holocaust.” In reality, though, it was “absolute joy and fulfillment.” Lydia and Rabbi Sholom Alter Mark were married for 33 years until his passing in March of 2016. She loved that her income allowed her husband to devote himself to Jewish learning and outreach, learning with college students and young Russian emigres.

 

She is also determined to give back. She has served on numerous boards including as the first woman member of the Board of Trustees at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital and her alma mater, Pace University, where she also endowed a scholarship for students in financial need.

 

Lydia, who goes by her English name professionally and uses her Jewish name “Leah,” for most things now, finally retired in 2002. She has 13 grandchildren and a number of young great-grandchildren and loves spending time with all of them. Looking back on her life, Lydia says that without a doubt, God was helping to drive the events of her life.

 

“God is not my partner; He’s my propulsion engine into all these things. He opened the door and raised me up.”

 

Milestone: Henry Orenstein, 98, transformer toys. https://www.timesofisrael.com/holocaust-survivor-henry-orenstein-transformers-toys-inventor-dies-aged-98/

 

Milestone: Rabbi Gideon Perl, 81 Alon Shvut. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318646

 

 

Inyanay Diyoma

 

 

Trump "I did more for Israel. Israel would have been destroyed by now and the first thing Bibi does is congratulate Biden before anybody else." https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318418

 

Posthumous Medal of Honor to brave Jewish Army Ranger. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/12/09/jewish-army-ranger-killed-in-afghanistan-to-receive-posthumous-medal-of-honor-for-heroic-2018-rescue/

 

Holland, Mosques replacing Catholic Churches. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318289

 

After knife attack, Jewish youths stone Arab Cars. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318422

 

Maine discriminates against Orthodox Jews. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318420

 

Latest Nuclear talks over within an hour. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318390

 

Israeli Conservative runs of NV Attn. Gen. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318419

 

Federal Appeals Court rejects Trump Exec. Privilege. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318410

 

Brawl in Turkish Parliament. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318411

 

Biden wanted to divide Yerushalayim. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318405

 

Guilty of a fake MAGA attack. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318398

 

Left - Netanyahu's reign is over. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318401

 

53 dead in truck overturning in Mexico. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318408

 

New Zeeland eventually will ban cigarettes. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318399

 

Russia to return Greek Jewish Achieves. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318379

 

Restrictions on air travel to continue 10 more days. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318385

 

Israeli Biotech gets a huge grant. https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3924482,00.html

 

5 step plan to end lone wolf terror attacks. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/bkf00bl15f

 

Iran is playing poker with a bad hand. https://www.timesofisrael.com/gantz-meets-us-defense-chief-warns-of-irans-hegemonic-aspirations/

 

If talks fail, the US has other plans. https://www.timesofisrael.com/biden-orders-to-prepare-additional-measures-in-case-iran-nuclear-diplomacy-fails/

 

Bennett considered lockdown of non-vaccinated. https://www.timesofisrael.com/pm-sought-lockdown-flight-ban-for-unvaccinated-health-minister-opposed-reports/

 

84 dead in KY tornadoes. https://www.timesofisrael.com/at-least-50-feared-dead-in-kentucky-tornadoes-as-deadly-storms-rip-across-us/

 

Italy ignored warning before 1982 Rome Synagogue attack. https://www.timesofisrael.com/new-documents-show-italy-ignored-warnings-of-1982-terror-attack-on-rome-synagogue/

 

Ganz -  Iran seeks to destroy Israel, I won't allow it. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318445

 

Chile's right wing Presidential Candidate likely son of Nazi. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318455

 

Bill to prevent Islamophobia passes first hurdle. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318454

 

SUNY Buffalo hit by antisemitic posters. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318446

 

Ganz to meet Abu Abbas again. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318374

 

2 stabbed in Druze sector. https://www.timesofisrael.com/2-men-stabbed-seriously-injured-in-northern-town-of-maghar/

 

Armed Arab infiltrators cocked weapons at IDF soldiers and not stopped. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318429

 

Iran may have hacked IAEA Cameras. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318452

 

Omicron cases rise to 35. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318435

 

Deaf MK gives birth to baby girl. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318425

 

Israel fails to draw US action on Iran. Grrr Blinkidy Blink. https://www.debka.com/israel-fails-in-its-bid-to-draw-us-backing-for-direct-action-against-a-nuclear-armed-iran/ NOTE ROBERT MALLEY is a follower of George Tsoros.

 

Migrating Crane Birds opt to stay in Israel. https://www.ynetnews.com/environment/article/sjzxblsff#autoplay

 

From IDF to LA Producer. https://www.ynetnews.com/magazine/article/h1t9ultut

 

Explosions in Lebanon Hamas Mosque in Refugee Camp kills 12. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/sj4g3a119t

 

Unruly passenger causes unscheduled stop. https://www.aol.com/news/delta-flight-diverted-passenger-assaults-063314542.html

 

Cable Nazi Network and their PLO bias. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/12/09/cnn-downplays-wave-of-palestinian-terrorism-with-bizarre-comparison-to-attacks-by-jewish-settlers/

 

Bennett visits the UAE. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318491

 

Bennett's misinformation or fib. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/flashes/560704

 

TX man & girlfriend arrested attempting to blow-up, blind and kill Chabad leaders. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318496

 

Israeli takes gold in para taekwondo Olympics. https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-who-lost-both-hands-aged-13-takes-gold-at-world-para-taekwondo-championships/

 

No egalitarian plaza for Kotel. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/sjew2rq9f

 

5 hurt in crash in Woodmere LI. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318488

 

Aliyah grows from western countries. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/syevi775y

 

Out dated meat and fish found in warehouse. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/flashes/560702

 

2 Bedouins tried to shoot 17year-old. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/flashes/560697

 

3500 reservists called up in drill in Southern Israel. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318459

3rd time this semester Mt. Holyoke College has antisemitic attack. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318450

Palestinian Text Books encourage violence. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/12/10/palestinian-authority-textbooks-encouraging-violence-found-on-teenage-girl-arrested-in-jerusalem-stabbing/

Melbourne antisemitism. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/12/10/no-let-up-to-epidemic-of-antisemitism-in-australian-city-of-melbourne/

Bennett's visit to the UAE. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318523

 

Terrorist eliminated in Shechem. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318520

 

Glick – Israel stands alone. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318507

 

On the world stage there is an intermarriage crisis but even among the Orthodox the Covid 19 has brought about a Shidduch Crises. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318432

 

Charedim stop missionaries from getting tax exempt status. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318508

 

Mossad commander that save top Hamas leader. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318438

 

Ms. India becomes Ms. Universe. https://www.timesofisrael.com/israels-beauty-on-full-display-as-india-takes-the-crown-at-miss-universe-in-eilat/

 

Mida kneged Mida. Netanyahu pulled security from former Defense Minister now gets a taste of his own medicine. https://www.timesofisrael.com/ministerial-committee-pulls-security-chauffeurs-from-netanyahus-family/

 

Liberman says people in tourism should find a new line of work. https://www.timesofisrael.com/liberman-says-tourism-workers-should-find-a-new-job-amid-ongoing-travel-restrictions/

 

Deadly clashes break out in refugee camp. https://www.timesofisrael.com/deadly-clashes-break-out-during-funeral-for-hamas-member-in-lebanon-refugee-camp/

 

2nd Synagogue found in Migdal during Temple Period. https://www.timesofisrael.com/second-ancient-synagogue-found-in-migdal-alters-ideas-of-jewish-life-2000-years-ago/

 

Chris Wallace leaves Fox after 18years. https://www.timesofisrael.com/fox-news-anchor-chris-wallace-leaving-network-after-18-years-for-cnn/

 

Is Israel fighting the last war with Iran? https://www.ynetnews.com/article/sj6ype2fy

 

Israeli start-up eliminates risk of AI. https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3924649,00.html

 

Israel starting to ban travel to European Countries. https://www.ynetnews.com/health_science/article/h14cqjm5f

 

Omicron cases in Israel rise. https://www.ynetnews.com/health_science/article/sydzq0x9f

 

Omicron is here. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/sjvgqhmqk

 

First death from Omicron in UK. https://www.aol.com/news/britain-says-omicron-spreading-phenomenal-072142584-144629957.html

 

Refueling planes only in 4 to 5 years. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318546

The Iranian Missile Program may be able to take a nuke 2000km. https://www.debka.com/tehran-prepares-to-launch-space-satellite-maybe-can-mount-effective-warhead-on-a-2000-km-range-icbm/

Mayor may have had a hand in cold murder case. https://www.timesofisrael.com/beitar-illit-mayor-named-as-suspect-detained-then-released-over-cold-case-murder/

Israel bombed Syrian Chemical Weapons Plant. https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-jets-bombed-chemical-weapon-sites-in-syria-report/\

 

Netanyahu caught Trump off guard. https://www.timesofisrael.com/what-the-hell-was-that-netanyahu-annexation-announcement-caught-trump-off-guard/

 

Tel Aviv U. Microconidia Research about ALS. https://www.timesofisrael.com/tel-aviv-university-breakthrough-touted-as-key-to-reversing-als/

 

Atomic Chief we are dealing with a different Iran. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318666

 

Police Min. blames sector PM tells him off. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318658

 

Beer Sheva Bedouin wave toy guns cause panic. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318664

 

Parker probe touches Sun's Corona. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318662

 

Hamas says Israel deterred from war. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318659

 

Because of Chinese Technology 5G – UAE may not get F-35. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318645

 

Antisemite of the year competition. The competition's first vote ran until December 5, and a day later, the group announced the three finalists picked by the users — Ben & Jerry’s board of directors chair Anuradha Mittal, British pop star Dua Lipa, and U.S. Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/bjpjdk85t

I personally know of 4 or 5 Democratic Congresswomen whom I would name.

 

Evangelicals warn Trump over Israel. https://www.timesofisrael.com/dont-make-us-choose-between-you-and-israel-evangelical-warns-trump-over-bibi-rift/

 

Elbit unveils AI assault Rifle. https://www.ynetnews.com/business/article/sjni111l9t

 

Earthquake in Indonesia. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318626

 

Ganz violates quarantine. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318601

 

Antivaxxers threaten Rabbi & Family. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318614

 

USAF discharges 27 servicemen. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318603

 

Pfizer Vax prevents 70% hospitalizations. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318624

 

Bennett & Company in quarantine after flight. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318622

 

The fastest modern conversion in history done by the Chief Rabbi. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318589

 

Syria reports that Hezballah supplies attacked. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318712

 

HASHEM YERACHEM 4 children die in bouncing castle. https://www.mymcmurray.com/2021/12/16/4-children-die-in-bouncy-castle-accident-in-australia/

 

Abbas has proof that Likud offered partnership. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318718

 

I am disgusted the opposition forcing a deaf woman 6 days after birth to come with infant to the Knesset. https://www.timesofisrael.com/mk-comes-to-knesset-with-newborn-after-opposition-refuses-to-offset-vote/

 

Israel to supply 1,000,000 vaccines to Africa. https://www.ynetnews.com/health_science/article/sy511spdct

 

Pandemic sheds light on how bad the education system is. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/syhwg4wqk

 

First 11months of 2021 Israeli Start-ups raise $25.1Billion. https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3924868,00.html

 

Mayor Elect Eric Adams in gesture to Jews ingurgitation Motzei Shabbos. https://www.timesofisrael.com/mayor-elect-of-new-york-city-eric-adams-moves-inauguration-to-after-shabbat/

 

Suspected car stopped with archeological artifacts. https://www.timesofisrael.com/stopping-a-suspect-car-police-find-ancient-items-bar-kochba-rebels-took-from-romans/

 

Crypto-money laundering. https://www.timesofisrael.com/celsius-suspends-official-under-probe-2nd-staffer-founded-firm-with-money-launderer/

 

In this year, housing prices surged 10%. https://www.timesofisrael.com/housing-prices-surged-over-10-in-past-year-the-biggest-spike-in-a-decade/

 

AIPAC and Israel hold off US Consulate. https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-freezes-bid-to-reopen-jerusalem-consulate-amid-strong-pushback-from-israel/

 

Nazis used Prep Schools to propagandize. https://www.timesofisrael.com/how-nazi-germany-used-student-exchanges-with-us-prep-schools-to-promote-propaganda/

 

200 Jewish Orgs. Ask Biden to help Uyghurs. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/12/15/over-200-jewish-organizations-rabbis-ask-biden-to-act-now-against-chinese-persecution-of-uyghurs/

 

Blind Woman regains sight with artificial cornea. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/12/15/blind-woman-regains-eyesight-at-israeli-hospital-using-artificial-cornea-carved-from-her-shin-bone/

 

New simulators to help recruits. https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-turns-to-training-simulators-in-quest-to-level-up-new-recruits/

 

Iranian hackers exploit coding flaw. https://www.timesofisrael.com/iranian-hackers-targeting-israel-using-ultra-exploitable-coding-flaw-experts/

 

Israel updates 'red' countries and US and Canada in the pipeline. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318711

 

French Consulate refuses to register couples married in Yehuda and Shomron. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318716

 

Arabs uproot Israeli Olives. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318692

 

IDF estimates enough time to prevent Iranian Nuclear Bomb. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318684

 

Terrorist came by sea to stab and hide in Mosque. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318654

 

Netanyahu refused IDF budget request on Iran for 2years. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318611

 

Secret deal Apple-China very troubling. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318500

 

Merry-Xmas from venomous Boomslang Snake. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318701

 

3 Jews shot in Ambush by terrorists, one dies. The man killed in the shooting in Samaria was Yehudah Diamantman. He leaves behind a wife and four children. Aviha Entman and Neirah Shlomo Feldman were injured in the attack and are being taken for treatment in Meir Hospital Kfar Saba. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318767

 

PM – we will get the terrorist murderers. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318769

 

Danger of TIK TOK for teens. https://chabadinfo.com/news/13-year-old-jewish-girl-rescued-from-muslim-home-in-bolivia-after-tiktok-exchange/

 

9year old kidnapped and dumped in London by teen gang. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318768

 

4 Israeli firms black listed by Facebook but this site has F Israel and India. https://www.facebook.com/Pakistanlovechina

Firms blacklisted: https://www.ynetnews.com/business/article/hko277y5k

 

Vienna Nuke talks almost collapsed. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/12/16/with-vienna-talks-on-cusp-of-collapse-little-reason-seen-for-iran-to-rejoin-nuclear-deal/

 

Duke University faces lawsuit over discrimination. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/12/16/legal-advocacy-group-urges-duke-university-to-recognize-pro-israel-students-or-risk-legal-consequences/

 

Indiana U. 6th swastika. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/12/16/indiana-university-jewish-community-decries-hatred-after-sixth-swastika-in-weeks-found-in-bloomington/

 

Nobody mentions Pally Textbooks also in Kuwait. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/12/16/school-textbooks-in-kuwait-rife-with-antisemitism-new-adl-report-reveals/

 

Jerusalem is the eternal and undivided capital of Israel, not Tel Aviv. After HonestReporting Canada notified Radio-Canada of its error, corrective action was taken to remove this reference and to set an important precedent.

 

Covid-Omicron. Analysis about fighting fatigue from the disease. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/symv5msct

 

Herr Rand Paul blocks Iron Dome Funding again. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318783

 

Ukraine to open up a diplomatic office in Yerushalayim. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/318788

 

Have a healthy, peaceful and wonderful Shabbos Rest.

Rachamim Pauli