Friday, July 3, 2020

Parsha Balak, Covid19 prevention, 2 stories and news

Covid19 Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html



Good News: The Diaspora and Eretz Yisrael become synchronized on the Parsha again as in the Diaspora it is a double Parsha of Chukas-Balak.





Parsha Balak





Our last Parsha ended with the Bnei Yisrael leaving the plains of Moav, going up further north to the Golan Heights and now returning to the Moav area.



22:1 And the children of Israel journeyed, and pitched in the plains of Moab beyond the Jordan at Jericho.



They returned from the battles up north on the Golan Heights and the plains below and were now back opposite Yericho.



2 And Balak the son of Zippor saw all that Israel had done to the Amorites. 3 And Moab was sore afraid of the people, because they were many; and Moab was overcome with dread because of the children of Israel. 4 And Moab said unto the elders of Midian: 'Now will this multitude lick up all that is round about us, as the ox licks up the grass of the field.' And Balak the son of Zippor was king of Moab at that time.  5 And he sent messengers unto Balaam the son of Beor, to Pethor, which is by the River, to the land of the children of his people, to call him, saying: 'Behold, there is a people come out from Egypt; behold, they cover the face of the earth, and they abide over against me. 6 Come now therefore, I pray thee, curse me this people; for they are too mighty for me; peradventure I shall prevail, that we may smite them, and that I may drive them out of the land; for I know that he whom thou blesses is blessed, and he whom thou curses is cursed.'



Balak is so steeped in the Tuma of Avoda Zara that he cannot see the truth. What is the Truth? Who gives the blessings and that Shabbos is the source of all blessings.



7 And the elders of Moab and the elders of Midian departed with the rewards of divination in their hand; and they came unto Balaam, and spoke unto him the words of Balak. 8 And he said unto them: 'Lodge here this night, and I will bring you back word, as the LORD may speak unto me'; and the princes of Moab abode with Balaam. 9 And God came unto Balaam, and said: 'What men are these with thee?'



From Rabbi B. Wein this week’s Parsha via the www.Torah.org: The prophet Bilaam experiences a conversation from Heaven. The conversation, as the Torah records for us, begins with Heaven asking Bilaam who were the people who came to visit? Isn’t that a strange question? First, if Heaven knows that people came to visit him, it is also aware who those people were. And why should Heaven even bother to ask? Is this germane to the central issue as to whether Bilaam should be allowed to proceed to curse the Jewish people? Thus, the commentaries, as can be expected, offer different outlooks on this issue.

The simple explanation is that Heaven is not, if anything, courteous. When you begin a conversation with someone, you do not jump to the main issue immediately, but there is always a prelude. There is something that opens the conversation in a friendly manner. Therefore, Heaven asked Bilaam if he had a busy day at the office? What happened? Who were the people he saw? And that would engage Bilaam to respond. And from that response, Heaven would be able to discern whether it would be a smart idea to proceed.

That is one approach. Another approach, which I feel is valid, is that Heaven is asking Bilaam a basic question. Heaven knows what people want. Heaven knows that Bilaam wants to curse the Jewish people. So, the Lord places in front of Bilaam, a kind of barrier, something to think about. “Who were the people that came to visit today?” Were they Holy people or other people? Were they interested in your welfare or people with only self-interests? Were they people of substance, or just simply messengers of government and Kings who have no independent judgment of their own, and were only carrying out the orders that were assigned to them? Therefore, Heaven asks Bilaam a cogent question about these people?



If you could answer who these people were, I think you could have a much better view of what your response should be. Bilaam did not take the hint because he had preconceived ideas. He wanted to go no matter what. And even when Heaven told him not to go, he was still determined. The Talmud tells us that an individual is led in the path that he wishes to go. That is how Heaven guides him. So Bilaam is doomed by his own preconditioned, predetermined will. He wants to curse the Jewish people, but he does not hear the nuance in the question that was asked of him.



10 And Balaam said unto God: 'Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, hath sent unto me [saying]: 11 Behold the people that is come out of Egypt, it covers the face of the earth; now, come curse me them; peradventure I shall be able to fight against them, and shall drive them out.' 12 And God said unto Balaam: 'Thou shalt not go with them; thou shalt not curse the people; for they are blessed.'



He had a chance to die a Tzaddik by repenting from his antisemitism and uttering exactly these words. However, his hatred for the Bnei Yisrael was so great that he would rather die destroying many from the tribe of Shimon than to give Am Yisrael credit for being blessed by HASHEM.



13 And Balaam rose up in the morning, and said unto the princes of Balak: 'Get you into your land; for the LORD refuses to give me leave to go with you.'



HASHEM will not allow me to go WITH YOU. Not that Am Yisrael was blessed. What would have happened if he would have advised Moav and Midian to make a peace treaty with Am Yisrael? The implication is that I cannot go WITH YOU but perhaps with somebody else and Balak figures this out.



14 And the princes of Moab rose up, and they went unto Balak, and said: 'Balaam refuses to come with us.'



WITH US but perhaps a more distinguished bunch of ministers.



15 And Balak sent yet again princes, more, and more honorable than they. 16 And they came to Balaam, and said to him: 'Thus says Balak the son of Zippor: Let nothing, I pray thee, hinder thee from coming unto me; 17 for I will promote thee unto very great honor, and whatsoever thou say unto me I will do; come therefore, I pray thee, curse me this people.' 18 And Balaam answered and said unto the servants of Balak: 'If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the word of the LORD my God, to do anything, small or great.



I am like putty in the hands of HASHEM I cannot do anything without HIS permission.



19 Now therefore, I pray you, tarry ye also here this night, that I may know what the LORD will speak unto me more.'



In the name of antisemitism and a chance to curse Am Yisrael please stay the night.



20 And God came unto Balaam at night, and said unto him: 'If the men are come to call thee, rise up, go with them; but only the word which I speak unto thee, that shalt thou do.' 21 And Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his ass, and went with the princes of Moab. 22 And God's anger was kindled because he went; and the angel of the LORD placed himself in the way for an adversary against him.



Wait a minute! G-D just told him that he could go so why was G-D angry with him for going? The answer is a few Pasukim back. Bilaam was specifically told the following: 'Thou shalt not go for the people are blessed.





Now he was riding upon his ass, and his two servants were with him. 23 And the ass saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, with his sword drawn in his hand; and the ass turned aside out of the way, and went into the field; and Balaam smote the ass, to turn her into the way. 24 Then the angel of the LORD stood in a hollow way between the vineyards, a fence being on this side, and a fence on that side. 25 And the ass saw the angel of the LORD, and she thrust herself unto the wall, and crushed Balaam's foot against the wall; and he smote her again. 26 And the angel of the LORD went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left.



The wall where he went and the narrow place were left-overs from the Gal-ad between Lavan and Yacov. Bilaam had crossed the line and violated the covenant between the two of them.



27 And the ass saw the angel of the LORD, and she lay down under Balaam; and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the ass with his staff.



He was infuriated that the donkey would not move further.



28 And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam: 'What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?'



Three times are a hint at Pesach, Shavuos and Sukkos.



29 And Balaam said unto the ass: 'Because thou hast mocked me; I would there were a sword in my hand, for now I had killed thee.'



You have embarrassed me that had I a sword in my hand, I would have killed you.



30 And the ass said unto Balaam: 'Am not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden all thy lifelong unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee?' And he said: 'Nay.'



Ridden-lifelong indicates that the donkey was also his sexual partner not only a mode of transport.



31 Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, with his sword drawn in his hand; and he bowed his head, and fell on his face.



Now his eyes are about to be opened and the Angel is revealed to him. Now he saw the real sword and to whom it was intended.



32 And the angel of the LORD said unto him: 'Wherefore hast thou smitten thine ass these three times? behold, I am come forth for an adversary, because thy way is contrary unto me; 33 and the ass saw me, and turned aside before me these three times; unless she had turned aside from me, surely now I had even slain thee, and saved her alive.'



You curse nations with your mouth but cannot answer with the same mouth a rebuke of a simple jackass. Since she talked in this world like a human, her mission is finished and at that point the donkey expired on the path. Bilaam had to walk and also needed help burying the carcass of the donkey.



34 And Balaam said unto the angel of the LORD: 'I have sinned; for I knew not that thou stood in the way against me; now therefore, if it displeases thee, I will get me back.' 35 And the angel of the LORD said unto Balaam: 'Go with the men; but only the word that I shall speak unto thee, that thou shalt speak.'



It might displease me, but now I am going to let you stew in your antisemitism and you shall bless them.



So Balaam went with the princes of Balak. 36 And when Balak heard that Balaam was come, he went out to meet him unto Ir-moab, which is on the border of Arnon, which is in the utmost part of the border. 37 And Balak said unto Balaam: 'Did I not earnestly send unto thee to call thee? wherefore came thou not unto me? am I not able indeed to promote thee to honor?' 38 And Balaam said unto Balak: 'Lo, I am come unto thee; have I now any power at all to speak anything? the word that God puts in my mouth, that shall I speak.'



What G-D puts in my mouth but not necessarily what you would like my mouth to say.



39 And Balaam went with Balak, and they came unto Kiriath-huzoth. 40 And Balak sacrificed oxen and sheep, and sent to Balaam, and to the princes that were with him. 41 And it came to pass in the morning that Balak took Balaam, and brought him up into Bamoth-baal, and he saw from thence the utmost part of the people.



These were altars for baal and other non-existent gods.



23:1 And Balaam said unto Balak: 'Build me here seven altars, and prepare me here seven bullocks and seven rams.' 2 And Balak did as Balaam had spoken; and Balak and Balaam offered on every altar a bullock and a ram. 3 And Balaam said unto Balak: 'Stand by thy burnt-offering, and I will go; peradventure the LORD will come to meet me; and whatsoever He shows me I will tell thee.' And he went to a bare height. 4 And God met Balaam; and he said unto Him: 'I have prepared the seven altars, and I have offered up a bullock and a ram on every altar.' 5 And the LORD put a word in Balaam's mouth, and said: 'Return unto Balak, and thus thou shalt speak.' 6 And he returned unto him, and, lo, he stood by his burnt-offering, he, and all the princes of Moab. 7 And he took up his parable, and said: From Aram Balak brings me, the king of Moab from the mountains of the East: 'Come, curse me Jacob, and come, execrate Israel.' 8 How shall I curse, whom God hath not cursed? And how shall I execrate, whom the LORD hath not execrated?



Wake up Balak repent I cannot curse those whom G-D has not curse. But yet both continue. Wake up you stupid antisemites and try to understand.



9 For from the top of the rocks I see him, and from the hills I behold him: lo, it is a people that shall dwell alone, and shall not be reckoned among the nations. 10 Who hath counted the dust of Jacob, or numbered the stock of Israel? Let me die the death of the righteous, and let mine end be like his!



They are righteous, I want to be like them. Wake-up they have not attacked you. You have a chance to make an alliance with them now is the time.



11 And Balak said unto Balaam: 'What hast thou done unto me? I took thee to curse mine enemies, and, behold, thou hast blessed them altogether.' 12 And he answered and said: 'Must I not take heed to speak that which the LORD puts in my mouth?' 13 And Balak said unto him: 'Come, I pray thee, with me unto another place, from whence thou may see them; thou shalt see but the utmost part of them, and shalt not see them all; and curse me them from thence.'



Boy are these two men so dense that they cannot stop being blinded by pre-conceived concepts of antisemitism. If they could only understand the truth!



14 And he took him into the field of Zophim, to the top of Pisgah, and built seven altars, and offered up a bullock and a ram on every altar. 15 And he said unto Balak: 'Stand here by thy burnt-offering, while I go toward a meeting yonder.' …18 And he took up his parable, and said: Arise, Balak, and hear; give ear unto me, thou son of Zippor: 19 God is not a man, that He should lie; neither the son of man, that He should repent: when He hath said, will He not do it? or when He hath spoken, will He not make it good? 20 Behold, I am bidden to bless; and when He hath blessed, I cannot call it back. 21 None hath beheld iniquity in Jacob, neither hath one seen perverseness in Israel; the LORD his God is with him, and the shouting for the King is among them.

24:1 And when Balaam saw that it pleased the LORD to bless Israel, he went not, as at the other times, to meet with enchantments, but he set his face toward the wilderness. 2 And Balaam lifted up his eyes, and he saw Israel dwelling tribe by tribe; and the spirit of God came upon him. 3 And he took up his parable, and said: The saying of Balaam the son of Beor, and the saying of the man whose eye is opened; 4 The saying of him who hears the words of God, who sees the vision of the Almighty, fallen down, yet with opened eyes: 5 How goodly are thy tents, O Jacob, thy dwellings, O Israel! …10 And Balak's anger was kindled against Balaam, and he smote his hands together; and Balak said unto Balaam: 'I called thee to curse mine enemies, and, behold, thou hast altogether blessed them these three times. 11 Therefore now flee thou to thy place; I thought to promote thee unto great honor; but, lo, the LORD hath kept thee back from honor.'



You are a scoundrel for coming and blessing instead of cursing. You are dishonorable.



12 And Balaam said unto Balak: 'Spoke I not also to thy messengers that thou didst send unto me, saying: 13 If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the word of the LORD, to do either good or bad of mine own mind; what the LORD speaks, that will I speak? 14 And now, behold, I go unto my people; come, and I will announce to thee what this people shall do to thy people in the end of days.'



He gave to Balak the advice of using the women of a fertility cult to seduce Jews into worshiping idols and being immodest. For the L-RD hates idols and immorality. By doing both it is a deadly combination.



15 And he took up his parable, and said: The saying of Balaam the son of Beor, and the saying of the man whose eye is opened. …25 And Balaam rose up, and went and returned to his place; and Balak also went his way.



After Israel sinned and many died, he came back to collect his reward and Yisrael gave it to him in the battle of Midian.



25:1 And Israel abode in Shittim, and the people began to commit harlotry with the daughters of Moab. 2 And they called the people unto the sacrifices of their gods; and the people did eat, and bowed down to their gods.



The Baal Peor was both fertility and use of the toilet. They defecated and urinated in front of the Statue but that was the way it was worshipped and the fornication just added to the worship.



3 And Israel joined himself unto the Baal of Peor; and the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel. 4 And the LORD said unto Moses: 'Take all the chiefs of the people, and hang them up unto the LORD in face of the sun, that the fierce anger of the LORD may turn away from Israel.' 5 And Moses said unto the judges of Israel: 'Slay ye everyone his men that have joined themselves unto the Baal of Peor.'



Moshe had just given this order when Zimri appeared with his Goya.



6 And, behold, one of the children of Israel came and brought unto his brethren a Midian woman in the sight of Moses, and in the sight of all the congregation of the children of Israel, while they were weeping at the door of the tent of meeting.



Moshe came to rebuke him and to get rid of his Midian Woman. When Zimri answered. You are a fine one to talk with your wife Tzipporah who is from Midian. Moshe did not know how to answer and became befuddled.



7 And when Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose up from the midst of the congregation, and took a spear in his hand. 8 And he went after the man of Israel into the chamber, and thrust both of them through, the man of Israel, and the woman through her belly. So the plague was stayed from the children of Israel.



The Pshat is that he did this as written without delay. The Drash is that guards were by the door to the tent of Zimri and Pinchas told the guards that he came to join in the hanky-panky with Zimri and they let him in. I prefer the Pshat this time over the Midrash.



9 And those that died by the plague were twenty and four thousand.





One Statue that would be nice if it was removed.



When King Louis IX Burned the Talmud (St. Louis) by Dr. Yvette Alt Miller





“O (Talmud), that has been consumed by fire, seek the welfare of those who mourn for you…”



These searing words were written by Rabbi Meir of Rothenberg (1215-1293), a brilliant Jewish student who’d recently travelled from his home in northern Germany to Paris to study a renown yeshiva there, after he witnessed the mass burning of the Talmud in Paris in 1240 on the orders of King Louis IX. A peripatetic king, Louis IX was one of the few Medieval Christian thinkers to willingly engage in debate with Jews - but his legacy is one of pain and suffering for thousands of Jews in France.



“He was a splendid knight whose kindness and engaging manner made him popular,” the Encyclopedia Britannica describes King Louis IX. Crowned at the age of twelve in 1226, King Louis IX instituted legal reforms across France and often personally judged cases in his magnificent Great Hall in the Palais de la Cite in Paris, where he handed out judgments and punishments to his subjects. A staunchly religious Catholic, King Louis IX was seemingly preoccupied by Jews. He issued the Ordinance of Melun in 1230, forcing Jewish into “honest” jobs - in reality manual labor. (Forbidden from virtually all professions by the Lateran Council of 1215, life for France’s Jews became more difficult than ever.) He also had an appetite for debating Jews about religion and Judaism’s holiest texts.



In the 1230s, King Louis IX finally got his chance to show off his powers of argument and his piety and debate Jews about the very validity of the Jewish faith.



In 1236, Nicholas Donin, a Parisian Jew who had turned his back on the Jewish community and publicly embraced Catholicism, penned a damning letter to Pope Gregory IX. In it, Donin attacked the Talmud, the written discussions of the Oral Law that was given to Moses on Mount Sinai along with the Written Law that makes up the Five Books of Moses. He enumerated 35 complaints about the Talmud, including that it attacked the Catholic Church. If there were no more Talmud, Donin asserted, then Jews would be more likely to abandon their Jewish faith and convert to Christianity, as he himself had done.



Pope Gregory IX took Donin’s letter seriously, and he sent a letter to all Catholic institutions in France demanding that they seize copies of the Talmud from Jewish communities in their midst. Similar letters were sent to Catholic leaders in Italy, Spain and Portugal. The Talmud was going to be put on trial, the Pope announced, and all copies had to be confiscated before this began.



The date for taking the precious Talmud volumes from synagogues, homes and Jewish schools was set for Shabbat, March 3, 1240. On that day, officials burst into synagogues across Europe where Jews were gathered for Shabbat services, loading volumes of the Talmud that had been painstakingly written by hand, as well as other Jewish books, away. Any Jew who tried to prevent his or her holy books could be killed with impunity.



Two months later, the Talmud was put on trial. King Louis IX oversaw the arrangements: the proceedings were to be public, and he personally promised to guarantee the personal safety of the Jews who were to be charged with defending the Talmud. However, there were strict ground rules that any Jew defending the Talmud had to adhere to: they could not criticize Christianity in any way. Nothing derogative about Christians or Christian belief could be uttered. Blasphemy, as defined by the Catholic Church, would not be tolerated. The conclusion of this infamous trial, or disputation, was a foregone conclusion.



King Louis IX ordered four prominent rabbis to defend the Talmud: Rabbi Yechiel of Paris, Rabbi Moses of Coucy, Rabbi Judah of Melum and Rabbi Samuel ben Solomon of Chateau-Thierry. They faced off against Nicholas Donin, the Christian convert who’d initiated the entire dispute.



The trial raged for days. Rabbi Yechiel led the Jewish team, and even his opponents agreed that he argued brilliantly, given the strict limitations on what he was allowed to say. When Donin accused the Talmud of treating Christian figures less than kindly, Rabbi Yechiel responded that it was possible that two people might have the same name, pointing out that “not every Louis born in France is king.” His flattery seemed designed to sooth the mercurial monarch, who watched every stage of the debate with great interest.



At one-point King Louis IX’s temper got the better of him as he followed the intricate arguments. Rabbi Yechiel advanced a particularly effective argument and Louis IX became enraged, shouting that instead of discussing matters of faith with a Jew, a good Christian should plunge his sword into him instead. So much for assurances that the rabbis would be safe. Rabbi Yechiel fled for his life, and the three other rabbis continued the dispute without him. Despite the rabbis’ best efforts, the trial had been decided before it began. The Talmud was found “guilty” and condemned to be burned.



King Louis IX oversaw the “sentence” two years later, in 1242. Officials throughout France had scoured the countryside looking for copies of the Talmud and other Hebrew books, taking them by force from Jews across France. Not a single volume of the Talmud remained in Jewish hands. On the morning of June 17, 1242, 24 wagons piled to the top with thousands of volumes of the Talmud and other Jewish books made their way slowly through Paris to the Place de Greve, near Notre Dame Cathedral. The collection was enormous. At a time when every book was painstakingly written by hand, this represented generations of Jewish learning and work. It’s estimated that the wagons held about 10,000 books.



One by one, each of the two dozen wagons disgorged their books, dropping the precious texts onto the ground. By the end of the day, an enormous pile of Jewish writings covered the plaza. A crowd gathered to watch the conflagration as Louis IX’s officials set the books on fire.



“My tears formed a river that reached to the Sinai desert and to the graves of Moshe and Aharon,” Rabbi Meir of Rothenberg, who was present at the scene, recalled later about that day. “Is there another Torah to replace the Torah which you have taken from us?” Sages designated a minor fast day in memory of this tragedy: the Friday before the Torah Portion Chukas is read in synagogue. This year’s fast day in memory of the Talmud’s burning is Friday, July 3, 2020.



The fast day this year comes amid renewed attention about King Louis IX. After his death, he became a saint in the Roman Catholic Church. The city of St. Louis is named after him and some people are protesting his statue in that city. In addition to putting the Talmud on trial, King Louis IX also signed legislation to expel Jews from France (this was carried out by his successor King Phillip IV) and led the Seventh and Eighth Crusades, which also targeted Jewish communities. His legacy is a complex one.



Yet, as many people around the world debate Louis IX’s legacy, some Jews will recall his reign in a much more personal way, fasting and praying and recalling the Trial of the Talmud that he oversaw, and the incalculable loss of Jewish scholarship that resulted.





I Don’t Fit into the Box by Aliza Bracha Klein





I’m used to standing out. As the only child to my amazingly loving parents, I was raised in a predominantly white suburb with a large Jewish community. In grade school, I was the only black child in most of my classes. I never really thought about color or felt out of place until we turned to the slavery chapter in our history books – I’ll never forget the stares I got then.



I was so used to being the minority wherever I went that when my parents and I chose Judaism for ourselves, I didn’t think the bias we experienced in day-to-day life would be any different. I was wrong.



Life is easier when we can just put other people into boxes. But I don’t fit in a box – I never have. I don’t know any black Jew who does. Maybe that’s why people seem confused about how to relate to me.



I’d love to be able to be like my friends. I’d love to go to a simchah where I’m not mistaken for the waitress, or go to a wedding where no one comes up to me and asks if I enjoyed myself, assuming it’s my first time at a Jewish wedding. I’d also love for people to not be so surprised when they learn that no, my husband isn’t the other black Jewish person who happens to be in the room – he’s the fun-loving Ashkenazi man you’ve been talking to!



But let me start at the beginning. My parents and I underwent a Reform conversion when we became interested in Judaism. My personal Jewish journey accelerated when I got involved in my college’s Hillel and become an active member of the metro Detroit Jewish community through volunteerism and leadership. Eventually, as I learned more and became more observant,



I realized that to lead the religious life that I knew was right for me, I would need to undergo another conversion, with an Orthodox Beis din.



When a Hillel staff member asked if I’d be interested in going on Birthright, I said yes. At the time, I was just a 22-year-old excited about seeing Israel for the first time and making new friends; I didn’t realize that being a black Jew was such a big deal. People were so curious about who I was that some of the chaperones suggested I speak to a couple of Birthright buses about my journey.



I recall some people on the trip telling me that they were nervous to approach me because I was “different,” and they didn’t know what to say. My response? “Say ‘Hi.’” That’s all that’s needed.



When I was 30, I took a leave of absence from my job, packed my bags, and headed to Israel to attend seminary. While I was waiting in line at Israeli customs, a random traveler started questioning me: Why are you in Israel? Do you know Hebrew? Are you a convert?



I was frustrated and upset – my first 15 minutes were spent defending myself from someone so ignorant and intrusive (and it wasn’t even a customs agent asking the questions!). Unfortunately, that’s just one of the many challenges that I face. I always wonder, Is it really so hard to just treat people the way you’d want to be treated?



Dating was another difficult step. I didn’t want to be set up with another Jew of color, and I was forced to constantly defend that decision. I kept getting The Talk about how I should be open-minded and not be so picky. I’ll never forget the comment I got when I was dating my husband: “Well, you’re not really black, you’re a white girl in a black girl’s body.” I didn’t even know what that was supposed to mean – I’m only good enough now because I’m not really the stereotype of what a black woman is?



After we got married, we were invited to many different families for meals, and eventually, I learned that I needed to identify “safe houses,” homes where I could eat a meal without feeling singled out. I wish people knew what it feels like to be enjoying a Shabbos or Yom Tov meal when the discussion takes a left turn and involves race and black Americans.



As the only black person at the table, I brace myself for the stares and the feeling I get when everyone’s chatting negatively about black people, as if I don’t exist. What’s hardest of all is when there are people at the Shabbos table who I know disagree with this type of talk or behavior, but they don’t say anything or take any action to stop the behavior because they’re uncomfortable doing so. I feel very alone, as if it’s me against the world. My beautiful Shabbos, which was supposed to be calming and relaxing, is now filled with discomfort and pain.



Shul can also be very difficult, especially when there’s a simchah and the shul is filled with out-of-town guests who don’t know me. The stares from little kids – and their moms! – make it difficult to pray. One time I found them so overwhelming that I just walked out of shul crying and finished davening at home.



Even though I know that I’m not alone, that I’m part of a warm and welcoming Jewish community, experiences like this make me feel like I am. It’s hard knowing that my friends and others who are not Jews of Color don’t face this, that they don’t understand what it’s like to walk in my shoes. My friends often talk about their struggles to fit into the Orthodox community, but I’m dealing with a whole new level of “fitting.”



As I mentioned, treating people the way you’d want to be treated would make my life and everyone else’s life better. It doesn’t take much – just kind words and love for your fellow Jew.



The kindest thing anyone’s ever done:



I went on a trip for young professionals, where a very respected rebbetzin (wife of a renowned rosh yeshivah) addressed the room and reminded everyone to treat others with kindness, no matter their race. She had the unusual gift of being able to read a room and to understand the dynamics of her audience.



I don’t remember what we’d been discussing, or why she felt compelled to say something, but I didn’t care. At that moment, I felt the holiness from within this woman. Her ability to empathize was incredible. I didn’t feel singled out because she didn’t speak about black people in a negative light – only with positivity. At the end of the evening, she hugged me and gave me a couple of autobiographies of black Jewish women like myself.



Please don’t ask me:

  • If I’m a convert or if I know other black Jews when you’ve only known me for five seconds.
  • To share my Jewish journey with a bunch of people I don’t know without first getting my permission.
  • If my parents are still married (Thank God, they’ve been married for almost 40 years).
  • Why [insert black leader] didn’t change black Americans.



Please don’t say:

  • “This may sound racist but…” If you have to start with that, then just don’t say it.
  • “I said [insert ignorant comment] and she [another black Jew] was okay with it.” Not all black Jews think the same way.
  • Please don’t use the word shvartzeh to refer to black people if you’re not speaking Yiddish. It’s offensive.



Do say:

  • Gut Shabbos, Shabbat Shalom, Gut Yom Tov
  • Do you mind sharing your journey? (Give me the option to share – don’t demand it).
  • Would you and your husband like to join us for a meal?





Milestone Carl Reiner passes away at 98. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Reiner



New Documents on how a Rebbe escaped Czar. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282662









Pompeo proud that US can help Israel. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282712









Former Intelligence Advisor convinced Netanyahu to make the Submarine Deal. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282714



Lawsuit Police brutality of 14year old. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282692





Inyanay Diyoma








Out of touch 120 million died from Corona. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282523



IDF knocks out rocket making facility after being targeted Friday Night. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/BkHNhR7CU#autoplay



IDF sending messages to Iran and Syria. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/SJDCofWRU






Ed-Op Netanyahu financial request. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/S1c511MGCI



Syrian blue baby to be treated in Israel. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/HJEU4jJRU



19year old the youngest victim. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/E592B4J7E



Glasgow stabbing not yet declared terror. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282545









After down to 1,900 active cases, 621 new cases put virus over 6,000 active cases. Death toll reaches 318. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282558



Golani Soldier dies suddenly after ordeal. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282557




           




Delta Airline Employees some had Corona. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282583



Biracial Jewish Girl burned in attack. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282579






Left appalled at arrest of general who protested but not right wingers or Orthodox Jews unfairly arrested. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282568



Russian Hacker – Fraudster convicted. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282564



Netanyahu’s fairy tale no Palestinian State. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282624

UK Labor still calling for boycott. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282627

Lebanon an assassination attempt. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282626

Goldin Family to change tactics. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282625

NYT hires fired antisemites. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282597

More airstrikes in Syria. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282594

Report bounty on US Troops. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282605

Director of Min of Ed resigns. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282601

Movement for dialogue with Reform. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282592



Ed-Op Glick why don’t US Jews defend themselves? https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282587



Pakistan to releaser murderer of Daniel Pearl. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282710









University Exams to be on-line/exceptions. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282680



Israeli Corona slows down with enforcement. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/Y47SFC30Q






Social Distancing important. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/H1bRmf808



New Virus found in China in pigs – TV and Radio News Israel but not newspapers.



New Documents on how a Rebbe escaped Czar. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282662



Lawsuit Police brutality of 14year old. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282692






Two weeks ago 1,900 active cases now 8,463 plus as 868 new cases in one day. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282845



Trump needs to do something for Israel. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282851



New Blood Libel – Ben Dror Yemeni. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/By311qjdRU






Families of terror victims ask to suspend aid to Jordan. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282870



Putin can continue in office to age 84. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282866













Renewed Corona restrictions. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/HywFeooCI









29minute interview why Syria should be Iran’s Viet Nam talking with Bennett. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282943






Israelis chosen for film academy. https://www.ynetnews.com/culture/article/rk5Mmuj0L



Why is Fox airing a Farrakhan speech? https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/282898















Have a pleasant, peaceful and healthy Shabbos,

Rachamim Pauli