Friday, November 19, 2021

Parsha Vayishlach, a story and news

Please add to your prayers Rachel Izel bas Sara a young woman single parent who needs a big recovery.

 

 

Parsha Vayishlach

 

 

Many years ago, I heard the idiom “Let sleeping dogs lie.” Why not visit as if nothing happened your father after 34years that turn into 36years? You did not have to rub your existence into Esav’s face. So it must be that Yacov knows the killer instinct in his brother quite well.

 

32:4 And Jacob sent messengers before him to Esau his brother unto the land of Seir, the field of Edom.

 

The word for Angel(s) and Messenger(s) is the same in Heb. Malach or Malachim. It is reasonable to believe that since he literally had Angels at his disposal he sent them. Another reason for this is that by having Angels with him, Esav would think twice about going against such a Tzaddik. Rashi believes it was a Malach Mamash thus, he might have sent one along with two regular messengers.

 

5 And he commanded them, saying: 'Thus shall ye say unto my lord Esau: Thus, says thy servant Jacob: I have sojourned with Laban, and stayed until now.

 

Lived or ‘Garti’ that Rashi points out is 613 in Gematria. Meaning that even though I was with a wicked man like Lavan, still I was able to observe Shabbos and other Mitzvos. This is another hidden message to Esav that he not only has Angels but also Mitzvos to protect him.

 

6 And I have oxen, and asses and flocks, and men-servants and maid-servants; and I have sent to tell my lord, that I may find favor in thy sight.'

 

I have enough and do not need anything of your inheritance from father.

 

7 And the messengers returned to Jacob, saying: 'We came to thy brother Esau, and moreover he cometh to meet thee, and four hundred men with him.'

 

Now the return of the messengers in plural seems to rule out Angels. The reason being that if Yacov was to send out real Angels on a mission, one for example would bring Esav the message and the other to return to Yacov. For we see that Angels have only one job to do at a time. Example. Rafael comes to heal Avraham after his Bris. Michael to save Lot (I am guessing his name). Gavriel to destroy Sodom (most likely him).

 

8 Then Jacob was greatly afraid and was distressed. And he divided the people that was with him, and the flocks, and the herds, and the camels, into two camps. 9 And he said: 'If Esau come to the one camp, and smite it, then the camp which is left shall escape.' 

 

Yacov makes plans to save his family. He divides the camp into four sections far apart from one another. The children of Zilpah and Bilhah in the two camps closer to the direction of Esav. Followed by Leah and then Rachel. The second part of preparation for meeting Esav was prayer.

 

10 And Jacob said: 'O God of my father Abraham, and God of my father Isaac, O LORD, who said unto me: Return unto thy country, and to thy kindred, and I will do thee good; 11 I am not worthy of all the mercies, and of all the truth, which Thou hast shown unto Thy servant; for with my staff I passed over this Jordan; and now I am become two camps. 

 

You have protected me these 34 years from real evil and just miraculously saved me from Lavan who wanted to completely destroy me.

 

12 Deliver me, I pray Thee, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau; for I fear him, lest he come and smite me, the mother with the children. 

 

Over the centuries, Christians especially and also Muslims wanted to convert Jews through being brothers, husbands and wives. Every trick in the book. So save me from the hand of my 'brother' Esav and the hand of the wicked Esav who would force a conversion upon me. [Our story this week I believe that I already posted it but it is of a 'brother' - husband as well as forcing conversion.]

 

13 And Thou said: I will surely do thee good, and make thy seed as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.' 

 

YOU promised me so please, now is the time to fulfil the promise.

 

14 And he lodged there that night; and took of that which he had with him a present for Esau his brother: 15 two hundred she-goats and twenty he-goats, two hundred ewes and twenty rams, 16 thirty milch camels and their colts, forty kine and ten bulls, twenty she-asses and ten foals. 17 And he delivered them into the hand of his servants, every drove by itself; and said unto his servants: 'Pass over before me, and put a space betwixt drove and drove.' 18 And he commanded the foremost, saying: 'When Esau my brother meets thee, and askes thee, saying: Whose art thou? and whither go thou? and whose are these before thee? 19 then thou shalt say: They are thy servant Jacob's; it is a present sent unto my lord, even unto Esau; and, behold, he also is behind us.' 20 And he commanded also the second, and the third, and all that followed the droves, saying: 'In this manner shall ye speak unto Esau, when ye find him; 21 and ye shall say: Moreover, behold, thy servant Jacob is behind us.' For he said: 'I will appease him with the present that go before me, and afterward I will see his face; peradventure he will accept me.' 

 

All this as a present – bribe to calm down Esav. But Esav is so full of hate it is this emotion that is driving him.

 

22 So the present passed over before him; and he himself lodged that night in the camp. 23 And he rose up that night, and took his two wives, and his two handmaids, and his eleven children, and passed over the ford of the Jabbok. 24 And he took them, and sent them over the stream, and sent over that which he had. 25 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. 

 

Yacov was like the wealthiest of today's Billionaires but he forgot some trinkets that he could have gotten in 'a dollar store' back on the other side of the river and returned to get them. For a Talmud Chacham must look after and protect his property. This 'man' was like the 'men' that came to Avraham and Sodom. The 'man' was the Angel of Esav.

 

26 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was strained, as he wrestled with him. 

 

The Angel could not prevail against Yacov but did do some damage that Yacov would limp.

 

27 And he said: 'Let me go, for the day breaks.' And he said: 'I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.' 

 

Morning is breaking and I have to say the hymns of Praise of Shachris of he Malachim. We have to remember that Esav's Angel is like the rest of the Angels. Yacov has Michael an Archangel. Michael can receive an exemption from prayer if he is on a special mission from HASHEM as Shaliach Mitzvah is Patur from other Mitzvos while on his mission.

 

28 And he said unto him: 'What is thy name?' And he said: 'Jacob.' 29 And he said: 'Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel; for thou hast striven with God and with men, and hast prevailed.' 

 

You are like an Angel in the fact that you are such a Tzadik that you can wrestle with angels and prevail.

 

30 And Jacob asked him, and said: 'Tell me, I pray thee, thy name.' And he said: 'Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name?' And he blessed him there. 31 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: 'for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.' 

 

He will use this as a compliment to Esav. But, now he came out victorious over the Angel of Esav.

 

32 And the sun rose upon him as he passed over Peniel, and he limped upon his thigh. 33 Therefore the children of Israel eat not the sinew of the thigh-vein which is upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day; because he touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh, even in the sinew of the thigh-vein.

 

This is the third and last Mitzvah given to us in the whole of Sefer Beresheis. Previous was be fruitful and multiply and the Bris of Avraham Avinu.

 

33:1 And Jacob lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, Esau came, and with him four hundred men. And he divided the children unto Leah, and unto Rachel, and unto the two handmaids. 2 And he put the handmaids and their children foremost, and Leah and her children after, and Rachel and Joseph hindermost. 

 

It should be noted that Yacov loved all his children because Yosef would be an Orphan, he would get preferential treatment. Benyamin never knew he was an Orphan as he was brought up from birth by a step-mother. He would only be a bereaved brother. We see from the story below of Reuven trying to bring Yacov's bed into Leah's tent that Yacov loved all his wives too. But for Gashmiyous Values, the children of servants were less Yichus than their half-sister-wives.

 

3 And he himself passed over before them, and bowed himself to the ground seven times, until he came near to his brother. 4 And Esau ran to meet him, and embraced him, and fell on his neck, and kissed him; and they wept. 

 

When Esav last saw Yacov, he saw a 63year old man with perhaps some or all black hair walking up right. Now he sees before him a 97year old limping white haired man. He remembered a vibrant enemy worthy of an army of 400 men. He realized that this disabled elder was not physical threat to him and perhaps of mirror of Esav as they were twins. His compassion was truly aroused. I know that Rashi brings down the Midrash that Esav tried to bite Yacov's neck and his teeth broke causing him to cry. But the Pshat seems that after 34years and seeing this fail old man, who had servants and children ready to bow down to Esav that his true compassion was aroused. I prefer this Pshat as sometimes the Rabbis painted Esav blacker than he was. For he did grow up 15years under the influence of grandfather Avraham and he still had connection to Yitzchak and Rivka.

 

5 And he lifted up his eyes, and saw the women and the children; and said: 'Who are these with thee?' And he said: 'The children whom God hath graciously given thy servant.' 

 

As a warrior, he was concentrated on his enemy. Now that he was at peace with himself, he looked up and saw the others.

6 Then the handmaids came near, they and their children, and they bowed down. 7 And Leah also and her children came near, and bowed down; and after came Joseph near and Rachel, and they bowed down. 

 

I assume that Yacov sent the speedy Naphtali to run to invite his siblings to come to meet uncle Esav.

 

8 And he said: 'What meanest thou by all this camp which I met?' And he said: 'To find favor in the sight of my lord.' 9 And Esau said: 'I have enough; my brother, let that which thou hast be thine.' 

 

What was all these gifts for?

 

10 And Jacob said: 'Nay, I pray thee, if now I have found favor in thy sight, then receive my present at my hand; forasmuch as I have seen thy face, as one sees the face of God, and thou were pleased with me. 

 

After wrestling with the Angel, he came up with this comparison.

 

11 Take, I pray thee, my gift that is brought to thee; because God hath dealt graciously with me, and because I have enough.' And he urged him, and he took it. 12 And he said: 'Let us take our journey, and let us go, and I will go before thee.' 13 And he said unto him: 'My lord knows that the children are tender, and that the flocks and herds giving suck are a care to me; and if they overdrive them one day, all the flocks will die. 14 Let my lord, I pray thee, pass over before his servant; and I will journey on gently, according to the pace of the cattle that are before me and according to the pace of the children, until I come unto my lord unto Seir.' 

 

This has not yet occurred and is described in the Haftarah. One day all of trans-Yarden will be ours but as for now it is not.

 

15 And Esau said: 'Let me now leave with thee some of the folk that are with me.' And he said: 'Who needs it? let me find favor in the sight of my lord.' 16 So Esau returned that day on his way unto Seir. 

 

For the next 50 years, I believe that Yacov and Esav will meet only for the burial of Yitzchak and then never again. Yacov never goes to Seir.

 

17 And Jacob journeyed to Succoth, and built him a house, and made booths for his cattle. Therefore, the name of the place is called Succoth. 

 

This is somewhere on flat ground between Chatzor HaGalil and Shechem.

 

18 And Jacob came in peace to the city of Shechem, which is in the land of Canaan, when he came from Paddan-aram; and encamped before the city. 19 And he bought the parcel of ground, where he had spread his tent, at the hand of the children of Hamor, Shechem's father, for a hundred pieces of money. 20 And he erected there an altar, and called it El-elohe-Israel.

34:1 And Dinah the daughter of Leah, whom she had borne unto Jacob, went out to see the daughters of the land. 

 

He had hidden her from Esav and family so as not to have to marry somebody wicked. But G-D was angry at Yacov for perhaps she could have gotten them to repent.

 

2 And Shechem the son of Hamor the Hivite, the prince of the land, saw her; and he took her, and lay with her, and humbled her. 3 And his soul did cleave unto Dinah the daughter of Jacob, and he loved the damsel, and spoke comfortingly unto the damsel. 

 

She was according to my calculation between 7 and 9 years old. He must have been at least 13 or more. It is not unusual for a Gazan or Taliban to marry a child of this age even today. So although he raped her he expressed his love and only talked about marriage. Dinah would have no say in the matter anyway. This is before the giving of Torah and her opposition to such a marriage might have been small.

 

4 And Shechem spoke unto his father Hamor, saying: 'Get me this damsel to wife.' 5 Now Jacob heard that he had defiled Dinah his daughter; and his sons were with his cattle in the field; and Jacob held his peace until they came. 6 And Hamor the father of Shechem went out unto Jacob to speak with him. 7 And the sons of Jacob came in from the field when they heard it; and the men were grieved, and they were very wroth, because he had wrought a vile deed in Israel in lying with Jacob's daughter; which thing ought not to be done. 

 

Yacov was angry for her and perhaps she cried unto Leah.

 

8 And Hamor spoke with them, saying 'The soul of my son Shechem longs for your daughter. I pray you give her unto him to wife. 9 And make ye marriages with us; give your daughters unto us, and take our daughters unto you. 10 And ye shall dwell with us; and the land shall be before you; dwell and trade ye therein, and get you possessions therein.' 11 And Shechem said unto her father and unto her brethren: 'Let me find favor in your eyes, and what ye shall say unto me I will give. 12 Ask me never so much dowry and gift, and I will give according as ye shall say unto me; but give me the damsel to wife.' 

 

Even though Shechem's behavior was not proper, his father nevertheless wanted a proper wedding and a full Bnei Noach wedding.

 

13 And the sons of Jacob answered Shechem and Hamor his father with guile, and spoke, because he had defiled Dinah their sister, 14 and said unto them: 'We cannot do this thing, to give our sister to one that is uncircumcised; for that were a reproach unto us. 15 Only on this condition will we consent unto you: if ye will be as we are, that every male of you be circumcised; 16 then will we give our daughters unto you, and we will take your daughters to us, and we will dwell with you, and we will become one people. 17 But if ye will not hearken unto us, to be circumcised; then will we take our daughter, and we will be gone.' 18 And their words pleased Hamor, and Shechem Hamor's son. 19 And the young man deferred not to do the thing, because he had delight in Jacob's daughter. And he was honored above all the house of his father. 20 And Hamor and Shechem his son came unto the gate of their city, and spoke with the men of their city, saying: 21 'These men are peaceable with us; therefore, let them dwell in the land, and trade therein; for, behold, the land is large enough for them; let us take their daughters to us for wives, and let us give them our daughters. 22 Only on this condition will the men consent unto us to dwell with us, to become one people, if every male among us be circumcised, as they are circumcised. 23 Shall not their cattle and their substance and all their beasts be ours? only let us consent unto them, and they will dwell with us.' 24 And unto Hamor and unto Shechem his son hearkened all that went out of the gate of his city; and every male was circumcised, all that went out of the gate of his city. 

 

Even after all the gifts to Esav, the family was very wealthy and getting your daughter married to one of them would be like marrying into the family of a billionaire.

 

25 And it came to pass on the third day, when they were in pain, that two of the sons of Jacob, Simeon and Levi, Dinah's brethren, took each man his sword, and came upon the city unawares, and slew all the males. 

 

The city today is not that large so back then would be a village or a small town by today's standards. So they went house to house with fields between each so that nobody would hear them. Also if they did hear a scream it would be attributed to pain from the Bris.

 

26 And they slew Hamor and Shechem his son with the edge of the sword, and took Dinah out of Shechem's house, and went forth. 27 The sons of Jacob came upon the slain, and spoiled the city, because they had defiled their sister. 

 

In this time, she managed to become pregnant and would mother Osnat.

 

28 They took their flocks and their herds and their asses, and that which was in the city and that which was in the field; 29 and all their wealth, and all their little ones and their wives, took they captive and spoiled, even all that was in the house. 

 

Essentially, they captured the women for wives their children would be either slaves or brought up like Serach bas Asher.

 

30 And Jacob said to Simeon and Levi: 'Ye have troubled me, to make me odious unto the inhabitants of the land, even unto the Canaanites and the Perizzites; and, I being few in number, they will gather themselves together against me and smite me; and I shall be destroyed, I and my house.' 

 

We made an agreement and now the others in Canaan will hear and become like them and go against us.

 

31 And they said: 'Should one deal with our sister as with a harlot?

 

Dinah had a full marriage so she was not like a prostitute. Yacov as upset as two wrongs do not make one right.

 

35:1 And God said unto Jacob: 'Arise, go up to Beth-el, and dwell there; and make there an altar unto God, who appeared unto thee when thou didst flee from the face of Esau thy brother.' 2 Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him: 'Put away the strange gods that are among you, and purify yourselves, and change your garments; 3 and let us arise, and go up to Beth-el; and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went.' 

 

The captives might have had gold or silver versions of the Saint Anthony of Shechem etc. They had to be buried, broken, etc. but with no use while not being the possession of the children of Yacov.

 

4 And they gave unto Jacob all the foreign gods which were in their hand, and the rings which were in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the terebinth which was by Shechem. 5 And they journeyed; and a terror of God was upon the cities that were round about them, and they did not pursue after the sons of Jacob. 6 So Jacob came to Luz, which is in the land of Canaan--the same is Beth-el--he and all the people that were with him. 7 And he built there an altar, and called the place El-Beth-el, because their God was revealed unto him, when he fled from the face of his brother. 8 And Deborah Rebekah's nurse died, and she was buried below Beth-el under the oak; and the name of it was called Allon-bacuth. 

 

She had to have been an adult of at least 12 or more to raise Rivka so that would give her an age close to 145 or 150 or more.

 

9 And God appeared unto Jacob again, when he came from Paddan-aram, and blessed him. 10 And God said unto him: 'Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name'; and He called his name Israel. 11 And God said unto him: 'I am God Almighty. Be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins; 12 and the land which I gave unto Abraham and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land.' 13 And God went up from him in the place where He spoke with him. 14 And Jacob set up a pillar in the place where He spoke with him, a pillar of stone, and he poured out a drink-offering thereon, and poured oil thereon. 15 And Jacob called the name of the place where God spoke with him, Beth-el. 

 

The renewed promise for the land with 11 sons to take care of it and marry.

 

16 And they journeyed from Beth-el; and there was still some way to come to Ephrath; and Rachel travailed, and she had hard labor. 17 And it came to pass, when she was in hard labor, that the mid-wife said unto her: 'Fear not; for this also is a son for thee.' 18 And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing--for she died--that she called his name Ben-oni; but his father called him Benjamin. 

 

In the Chapter "From what do we light" regarding candles and oil for Shabbos aka Chapter 2 that when a woman dies in childbirth it is because she did something wrong. Here Rachel stole the idols of Lavan that were in her possession.

 

19 And Rachel died, and was buried in the way to Ephrath--the same is Beth-Lechem. 

 

Until Gallus Bavel, nobody would understand why she was buried there as the captives prayed at her grave as the left Yerushalayim.

 

20 And Jacob set up a pillar upon her grave; the same is the pillar of Rachel's grave unto this day. 21 And Israel journeyed, and spread his tent beyond Migdal-eder. 22 And it came to pass, while Israel dwelt in that land, that Reuben went and lay with Bilhah his father's concubine; and Israel heard of it. 

 

Reuven was between 11 to 13 and jealous for Leah and wanted to move Yacov's bed there but it is as if he slept with Bilhah.

 

Now the sons of Jacob were twelve: 

 

Reuven was still considered a son despite his poor meddling where he should not have been.

 

23 the sons of Leah: Reuben, Jacob's first-born, and Simeon, and Levi, and Judah, and Issachar, and Zebulun; 24 the sons of Rachel: Joseph and Benjamin; 25 and the sons of Bilhah, Rachel's handmaid: Dan and Naphtali; 26 and the sons of Zilpah, Leah's handmaid: Gad and Asher. These are the sons of Jacob, that were born to him in Paddan-aram. 27 And Jacob came unto Isaac his father to Mamre, to Kiriatharba--the same is Hebron--where Abraham and Isaac sojourned. 28 And the days of Isaac were a hundred and fourscore years. 29 And Isaac expired, and died, and was gathered unto his people, old and full of days; and Esau and Jacob his sons buried him.

 

This is the last we hear of Esav and only his children are mentioned in Yetzias Mitzrayim either about Amalek or the territory near Har Seir.

 

36:1  Now these are the generations of Esau--the same is Edom. 2 Esau took his wives of the daughters of Canaan; Adah the daughter of Elon the Hittite, and Oholibamah the daughter of Anah, the daughter of Zibeon the Hivite, 3 and Basemath Ishmael's daughter, sister of Nebaioth.

 

The Torah is full of the generations and Yichus of the nations. Sometimes we have no reason to know anything of these nations born as the original 70 nations or the children of Yishmael or Esav but still sometimes something comes up.

 

4 And Adah bore to Esau Eliphaz;

 

He and some of the children of Midian appear in Sefer Iyob.

 

… 6 And Esau took his wives, and his sons, and his daughters, and all the souls of his house, and his cattle, and all his beasts, and all his possessions, which he had gathered in the land of Canaan; and went into a land away from his brother Jacob. 7 For their substance was too great for them to dwell together; and the land of their sojourning’s could not bear them because of their cattle.

 

We saw this with Lot and Avram and yet they could have just separated a short distance seeing that the population was dozens and not millions like the tribes that left Mitzrayim.

8 And Esau dwelt in the mountain-land of Seir--Esau is Edom. 9 And these are the generations of Esau the father of the Edomites in the mountain-land of Seir.

 

These reddish mountains are near Aquba in Yarden. We can view them from Eilat.

 

10 These are the names of Esau's sons: Eliphaz the son of Adah the wife of Esau, Reuel the son of Basemath the wife of Esau. 11 And the sons of Eliphaz were Teman, Omar, Zepho, and Gatam, and Kenaz. 12 And Timna was concubine to Eliphaz Esau's son; and she bore to Eliphaz Amalek. These are the sons of Adah Esau's wife.

 

We will see Kenaz mentioned with Yael under the Judge Devorah. We ended up not battling Esav or Eliphaz but in every generation Amalek..

 

… 31 And these are the kings that reigned in the land of Edom, before there reigned any king over the children of Israel.

 

What is the meaning of the kings of the Plishtim, Yishmael, Esav vs. the lack of kings in Yisrael? I think it is a spiritual version of the animal kingdom. If we look at developed animals and swimming mammals we find that Giraffes, Elephants and even intelligent Dolphins start walking or swimming close to birth. But the highest animal is the “Midaber” (talker) and the new born cannot move independently for over a year so too among the nations the highest nation, Yisrael takes time to develop.

 

… 43 … These are the chiefs of Edom, according to their habitations in the land of their possession. This is Esau the father of the Edomites.

 

They all ruled before Yisrael became a nation.

 

 

Ed-Op Rabbi Pinchas Winston Shlita Thirtysix.org and Torah.org

 

 

THE TALMUD RELATES how Eliezer, Avraham’s servant, went to Sdom and what it was like for him (Sanhedrin 109b). Crazy is an understatement. They had absurd laws that were truly backwards. When you read about them you think to yourself, “Really? Was this the way it was, or is it just exaggeration?”

 

What’s the problem? The problem is that the people of Sodom kept a straight face. Eliezer probably couldn’t, but the people of Sodom thought their laws were clever. They made sense to them, which is what doesn’t make sense to us. It’s one thing if people know what is right but they have chosen to abuse the system. It’s something altogether different when the abuse is the system, and people happily enforce it.

 

One thing is for sure. I never imagined I would ever see that kind of thinking in my lifetime. The line between sanity and insanity has been clearly defined for society, though there are some gray areas. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest was a movie that had a lot of truth to it, but it was still only a movie.

 

I’m not so sure anymore. I asked myself for many years, how could a place like Sdom ever really exist? How could such thinking become predominant in society? True, America has been compared to Sodom, but until recently, that usually referred only to its level of material decadence. Now it even applies to the American and Israeli governments, and the thinking of the people in charge.

 

Truth is out. I know, I know, it was already written in the Talmud that this would be the case (Sanhedrin 97a). But it is one thing to imagine a society in which people lie about the truth, but another thing to witness falsehood become more important than the truth. Cheating is so acceptable, even noble to the people on your side.

 

When they pushed God out of the picture, they claimed it was in the name of the freedom of something. But clearly it was to create a void that falsehood could fill quite comfortably. When was the last time, in the West at least, that speaking the truth could make you a traitor to the state and liable to punishment?

 

Honestly, I’m not surprised. Anyone who saw the changes in this direction decades ago should have seen this coming. It’s just so hard to put up with, and it is so frustrating that it has become strong and is getting stronger. This is so very scary because it always leads to collapse at some point, and that’s when being Jewish can become very dangerous.

 

 

Who was La-La Silica? by Rabbi Yerachmiel Tilles

http://ascentofsafed.com/cgi-bin/ascent.cgi?Name=1249-11

 

 

In the city of Fez, Morocco, near the graves of two famous Moroccan rabbinical judges, Rabbi Yehuda ben Atar[1] and Rabbi Avner Hasaphatim,[2] lies a grave inscribed: "La La Salica." This is the grave of the young Jewish woman, Salica. These three graves are secluded from the others, and with good reason; according to tradition, The Divine Presence dwells there! We also know, from tradition, that those who visit the graves, praying to G-d on the merit of the beloved deceased who rest there, are likely to have their prayers answered

 

Who was this girl, Salica, buried next to two righteous tzaddikim?

 

Salica's family lived in Morocco. Her father, Shlomo, supported her family through selling house utensils. He worked hard, with absolute honesty. Salica's mother and sisters, as herself, were all modest and G-d fearing. Salica, especially, stood out for her wisdom and goodness, and her graceful Jewish charisma, beaming from her face.

 

Not far from her house lived Muslim families, some of whom belonged to the elite circle of government authorities. One young man from these families noticed Salica, the Jewess. Awestruck by her charm, he resolved to take her for a wife. As he matured, and the time came for him to choose a wife, he informed his father of his fervent desire to betroth Salica. "I will have nothing to live for, father, if I don't marry Salica," he told his father.

 

The father accepted his son's requests, and was certain that Salica's father would be delighted if she were to marry into an honorable, rich family such as his. Of course, Salica would have to abandon her faith, and convert to Islam, in order for the marriage to occur. But neither the son nor father saw any problem with this.

 

Now, this boy's father was a distinguished man. Normally, his requests and desires were fulfilled on demand, immediately, without fail. So when Shlomo, Salica's father, outright refused to agree to the marriage, he was shocked throughout all his being. He decided to fulfill his son's will, regardless of all obstacles.

 

Outraged, feeling his honor soiled, he prepared to take drastic steps. "You shall see," said he to Shlomo; " your daughter, Salica, will marry my son, for the good - or for the bad..." Adamant, Shlomo turned his back, ignoring his words altogether.

 

As expected, a few days afterwards, Shlomo and his family heard knocking on the door. "We come to take Salica, in the name of the Law!"

 

The authorities had grounds for their decision. They had been informed, fallaciously, by a certain rich and distinguished Arab, that Salica had converted to Islam, but then returned to her heritage, her Jewish faith.

 

The police ransacked the house, searching for Salica. To their surprise, she was not to be found! Reacting to rumors that the authorities sought her arrest, she had already escaped to a nearby town, where she was hiding with relatives.

 

The authorities were clever, and did not give up so easily. Instead, they arrested Salica's mother as a hostage until Salica would appear and hand herself over for prosecution. When Salica heard of this, she immediately returned to the city, for the sake of her mother's freedom. Upon handing herself over to the authorities, they arrested and imprisoned her.

 

A few days later, she appeared in court, for judgment. "How dare you convert to our faith, then abandon it," roared the prosecution.

 

All the Jews of the community, her family, her friends - they trembled at the aggressiveness, the recklessness of the prosecution. They dreaded the probable verdict....

 

But Salica did not fear. She remained firm and strong, outwardly demonstrating her will and determination, before the judges and prosecution. She proudly maintained, "Never, never did I leave my faith. I never became a Muslim, and I never, ever will! I was born a Jew, and thus shall I die!"

 

Nevertheless, the judges, accepted the accusations of the prosecution, listening to their cursed lies. The prosecution "proved" that she had converted to the Islamic faith, but then returned to Judaism, the faith of her ancestors. The judges declared the verdict: She was sentenced to be killed by the sword.

 

The guards, with cruelty and viciousness, imprisoned Salica. Meanwhile, messengers from the wealthy Muslim families came to influence her heart. Even so, isolated in a dreadful cell, Salica refused to listen. The promised her riches, wealth, prosperity -- all the good in the world -- but in vain. Salica would not give in.

 

Even the leaders of the Jewish community came to her, sadly begging that she convert, and marry the Arab. Otherwise, they pleaded, the entire community would suffer. Still, she remained strong. The pleading went unheeded.

 

Next, the prison guards were sent to brutalize and torture her, in an attempt to forcefully persuade her to abandon her faith, convert, and marry the Arab. The torture, the brute force, the terror - this, too, went unheeded. "I cannot betray my G-d, the G-d of my ancestors, the G-d of the Universe."

 

The prison guards even forcefully brought the Jewish leaders, once again, and compelled them under force, to command her to convert, and to marry the Muslim. She refused, outright. Salica remained strong, in her heart and in her mind; she would not betray her faith.

 

In the last few moments of her life, as she awaited the execution, the final fulfillment of the verdict, she was visited by the Muslim boy, the very cause of her misfortune, the source of her sorrow and torture.

 

He whispered, "Please, Salica, my love, listen to me. This is your last opportunity. You can be saved, Salica, saved from death. You don't even have to become Muslim, Salica. Just pretend to, outwardly. Just marry me, please! I don't desire your death, your harm. Your religion is of no importance to me."

 

To his shock, Salica turned her head, refusing to so much as acknowledge him. In the last seconds of her life, bound in chains, while the executioner held the sword high, raised above her neck - Salica screamed the ancient cry of the Jewish martyr:
"Shema Yisrael - Hear, O Israel, G-D is our G-d, G-D is One!"

 

Salica sanctified the name of G-D in her life, and even more, in her death. "A woman of worth, who can find? For her price is far above rubies" (Proverbs 31:10).

~~~~~~~~~~~
Source: Adapted by Yerachmiel Tilles from the rendition in "Hear and Your Soul Shall Live" as told by Rav Moshe Weber. First published in Hebrew (in L'ma'an Yishma'u) by Rabbi Yitzchak-Ido Erhlich-Weber, and roughly translated into English by Emanuel Behar and Ari Chester.

 

Connection - weekly Torah reading of Vayishlach: the episode of Dina bas Yaakov (Gen. 34:3-5)

Footnotes:
[1] 5416 (1656) - 19 Sivan 5493 (1733), the father of the Ohr HaChaim HaKadosh)
[2] Perhaps Rabbi Vidal Haserfati? (hyomi.org.il)

 

 

Milestone Helene Fortunoff, 88, Jewelry maker. https://www.timesofisrael.com/helene-fortunoff-jewish-pioneer-of-a-us-jewelry-empire-dies-at-88/

 

Milestone Netty Gross, 66, report voice of the unheard. https://www.timesofisrael.com/journalist-netty-gross-voice-of-those-who-otherwise-wouldnt-be-heard-dies-at-66/

 

 

Inyanay Diyoma

 

 

Massive Neo-Nazi Arms Cache in Austria. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316820

 

US covered up 64 civilian casualties. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316820

 

Charedim are not working for Netanyahu’s survival. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316846

 

Protestors try to block Yerushalayim over police murder of a 16year old. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316845

 

Jew injured in Arab Yerushalayim Rock incident. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316840

 

150 Bison in winter migration. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/winter-migration-begins-as-yellowstone-bison-are-filmed-in-national-park-roads-180978991/

 

Polish Nationalists shout death to Jews. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316827

 

One Republican attacks Jewish Rival. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316814

 

Crown Heights man punched slurred. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316815

 

N. Korea has more material for Nukes. https://www.foxnews.com/world/north-korea-ingredients-nuclear-bombs

 

Vaccine Mandates are unconstitutional. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/texas-sues-biden-administration-flaty-unconstitutional-federal-vaccine-mandate

 

School Admin. Spies on Parents. https://www.foxnews.com/media/arizona-parents-spying-school-administrator-ingraham-angle

 

Chinese tried spying on US Trade. https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/chinese-spy-convicted-steal-us-trade-secrets

 

Body of backpacker found. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316835

 

Nuremberg Trial and Vaccine Mandates Ed-Op Bederman. https://dianebederman.com/dear-doctors-time-for-you-to-clue-in-to-your-obligations-to-the-nuremberg-code-and-defense/

High Winds many terror related fires. https://www.timesofisrael.com/concern-for-human-life-100-homes-evacuated-in-northern-town-as-wildfire-burns/

 

Children’s Author accused of abusing girls. https://www.timesofisrael.com/celebrated-haredi-childrens-author-accused-of-sexually-abusing-teen-girls/

 

Friday I saw a news item with no name from: Sophia Boswell From Esther Crouch           "I just got a message that Jonathan Pollard's wife situation with cancer is deteriorating and she needs tefillahs badly her name is Esther Yohevet Bat Raizel Bracha. May she have a Refuah Shlayma." Tefillah and Tehillim please!

Ukraine: 100,000 Russian Troops Amassed near border. https://www.timesofisrael.com/ukraines-president-says-100000-russian-troops-amassed-near-border/

 

Scorpion Stings kill 3 injure many in Egypt. https://www.timesofisrael.com/scorpion-swarms-kill-3-injure-hundreds-in-egyptian-city/

 

Uganda’s first Jewish Doctor. https://www.timesofisrael.com/where-there-is-no-doctor-ugandas-1st-jewish-physician-returns-home-to-be-one/

 

US and Israel partner to fight ransomware attacks. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rjcvaljuk

 

Gunfire outside of major Israeli Hospital. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/sjcngbkdy#autoplay

 

India’s Military Chief visits Israel. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/r1zcriawy

 

Metaverse Chips to be designed in Israel. https://www.ynetnews.com/business/article/b1gbh9100f

 

Israel and Taiwan AI start-up QC Inspection. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/11/14/israeli-ai-developer-cortica-and-johnson-electric-launch-8-5-million-autonomous-inspection-startup/

 

Israeli star smashes records. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/11/14/israeli-movie-star-gal-gadots-new-film-smashes-netflixs-opening-day-viewing-record/

 

Israel is in line for Pfizer’s Covid Pill. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/11/14/pfizers-covid-pill-to-arrive-in-israel-after-fda-approval/

 

We prefer no consulate no exemption. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316917

 

Attempted Hezballah attack in Columbia. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316911

 

Shoot thieves and smugglers. https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-updates-open-fire-rules-letting-soldiers-shoot-thieves-smugglers/

 

3 terrorists arrested in Liverpool. https://www.timesofisrael.com/british-police-arrest-three-men-after-deadly-liverpool-car-blast/

 

Sanctions on Gov. Offices that do not move to capital. https://www.timesofisrael.com/ministers-approve-sanctions-for-government-offices-that-dont-move-to-jerusalem/

 

Gov. delays entrance to Sputnik V injections. https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-delays-entry-of-tourists-vaccinated-with-russias-sputnik-v/

 

DOJ harasses Steve Bannon. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316889

 

Austria lockdown for unvaccinated. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316904

 

Arab groom still wants to convert. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316900

 

US Dollar falls to lowest level in 25years. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317043

 

Israel shoots at ‘empty’ building in Damascus. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317060

 

The higher standards of Kosher. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316981

 

Bar Ilan U. anti-diabetes study. https://www.timesofisrael.com/university-launches-major-75-million-project-to-combat-diabetes-as-cases-climb/

 

Uranium Centrifuge Plant back on-line. https://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-said-to-resume-work-at-centrifuge-plant-allegedly-targeted-by-israel/

 

Incoming Corona Rules eased. https://www.ynetnews.com/travel/article/bkx4ouzdt

 

Israeli Mafia Kingpin convicted. https://www.timesofisrael.com/court-convicts-mob-kingpin-of-murdering-3-bystanders-in-failed-hit/

 

Armed hospital brawl shows lawlessness. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/80LU8NU0M#autoplay

 

Turkish Interior Min. accuses Israelis. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317034

 

Ed-Op Fishman. Erdogan’s: ‘Midnight Express’. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rkko1vcvy

 

Ed-Op R. Pauli any Israeli perhaps anybody who travels to Turkey, Afghanistan, Pakistan, N. Korea and a few other places is a fool.

 

Daycare decree delayed until Jan. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317020

 

Instead of increasing oil and gas production in the USA Biden asks for some reserves from China. Virtual Summit. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317033

 

Fakest of the Fake News no truth: https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/11/16/new-york-times-video-depicts-israeli-soldiers-winning-pizza-coupons-by-shooting-palestinians-for-fun/

 

Media silent on Biden trying to force the PLO to accept Hamas who murdered their people. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/11/16/media-silent-amid-us-eu-push-for-palestinian-unity-government-including-terrorist-hamas/

 

Duke Chapter of Support Israel blocked. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/11/16/national-pro-israel-student-group-disturbed-after-duke-university-chapter-vetoed-over-social-media-post/

 

US Born Lt. shows Ambassador and others Iron Dome. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/11/16/life-or-death-decisions-us-born-idf-missile-defense-officer-takes-american-un-envoy-on-tour-of-iron-dome/

 

NYPD investigates threats at Bagel Store. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/11/16/nypd-investigating-threat-at-kosher-bagel-store-remove-those-israeli-flags-or-ill-burn-the-building-down/

 

The Dark Side of Social Media. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/11/16/jewish-author-david-baddiel-explores-darker-side-of-social-media-in-upcoming-bbc-documentary/

 

Israel will defend itself from Iran. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317037

 

No forced mandate on vax for children. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317011

 

Greek Fortress destroyed by Maccabees found. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317000

 

Three arrested in Poland in connection to Antisemites. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316979

 

1Shachid 2stabbing victims. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317108

 

Iran Doxing the man who is stopping their cyber-attacks. https://www.timesofisrael.com/amid-ongoing-cyberwar-iran-uses-new-tactic-doxing-israeli-foes/

 

Couple jailed in Turkey return home. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317139

 

Israel must improve ties with Egypt. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/11/17/israel-must-strike-while-the-iron-is-hot-and-improve-ties-with-egypt/

 

Homicide Bombing in Uganda. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/16/africa/uganda-kampala-explosion-intl-hnk/index.html

 

Levin: Most of the Media is racial and antisemitic. https://rumble.com/vp8x39-levin-well-never-have-a-united-society-if-the-media-keeps-spewing-their-hat.html?mref=6zof&mc=dgip3&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Mark+Levin+Show&ep=2

 

Hezballah Drug Cartel. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317052

 

Secret Op to bring in Illegals. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317024

 

The War on Christians (and of course Jews) https://www.infowars.com/posts/gibraltar-cancels-christmas-despite-100-of-population-fully-vaccinated/

 

Ed-Op Ben Yishai moderate security improvement. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rkc5gagot

 

Shin Bet head meets PLO leader. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/s1hbwgb00k

 

Prosecutor’s office or police leaked new details without informing Netanyahu delaying the trial. Like exculpatory Rittenhouse Video. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/r1orxjbuf

 

Russian space missile test threatened ISS. https://www.timesofisrael.com/russian-missile-test-causes-debris-cloud-threatening-international-space-station/

 

Victim 109 or 114 in Arab Sector. https://www.timesofisrael.com/man-shot-dead-leaving-funeral-2nd-man-the-intended-target-badly-hurt/

 

Arab Spy Chiefs embrace Syria with US OK. https://www.debka.com/arab-spy-chiefs-found-an-inner-circle-in-cairo-embrace-syria-with-us-nod/

 

Close to 90 days after withdrawal from Afghanistan families of 60 military men still left behind. https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/11/60-us-troops-family-members-stranded-in-afghanistan-biden-admin-not-helping-them/

 

Mezuzos stolen. https://www.algemeiner.com/2021/11/17/at-least-a-dozen-mezuzah-thefts-prompts-new-antisemitism-task-force-at-indiana-university/

 

Knesset to investigate death of teen in police ramming. https://www.timesofisrael.com/knesset-votes-to-investigate-death-of-settler-teen-in-police-chase-last-year/

 

Herzog to meet with Boris Johnston. https://www.timesofisrael.com/herzog-to-meet-with-boris-johnson-jewish-leaders-in-uk-visit-next-week/

 

UAE pays for solar energy plant for Israel for desalination of water for Yarden. https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-jordan-uae-reportedly-set-to-sign-massive-solar-water-swap-deal/

 

Helen Mirren to play Golda Meir. https://www.timesofisrael.com/first-look-at-helen-mirren-as-golda-meir-in-upcoming-biopic/

 

AI detects 73% of the time liars. https://www.timesofisrael.com/liar-liar-reading-faces-israeli-tech-spots-fibbers-with-73-accuracy/

 

Arguments to be heard in court cable crash boy. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rkpitpgdk

 

Herzog talks to Chinese Leader. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/bytdcogot

 

Rabbi gives homeless man his new shoes. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rjaituguy#autoplay

 

A strong health system key to security. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/bjn2djzoy

 

Covid cases rise among non or expired vaccinated. https://www.ynetnews.com/health_science/article/hyngaafuy

 

Miami Building collapsed from new construction. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317138

 

Weak Administration weak deal. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317131

 

Charedim want Ganz to be PM. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317123

 

VP incompetent that Dems want replaced. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317128

 

Where is Reporter outrage on raid? https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317119

 

2 suspects in attack on Jewish child. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317116

 

Jewish Taliban to move to Arab Country. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317096

 

EMT saves life of Akko man. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317106

 

37year high inflation & Psaki. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317124

 

Whistle blower on FBI targeting parents. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317111

 

Swastika use by anti-vaxxers. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317014

 

Iran deal good for Iran. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/316993

 

Israel discovers quantum encoding. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317009

 

Austin Arson suspect charged. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317007

 

Egypt gives Israel Hamas plan for peace. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317006

 

Alice to the moon Alice. https://www.foxnews.com/science/nasa-launch-of-first-moon-rocket-since-apollo-mission-february

 

UK declares Hamas a terrorist Org. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317218

 

Journalist who mentioned killing Brazil's Jews apologizes. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317217

 

Charlottesville and gas the Kikes. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317215

 

Haifa fire had residents trapped on porches. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317216

 

As in Israel, FL against Vaccine Mandates. https://www.aol.com/news/florida-bans-strict-vaccine-mandates-221032230-004654981.html

 

Two Iranians charged with election interference. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317198

 

Ate only bread and water to say kosher. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317188

 

Shin-Bet failed to detect spy in Defense Minister's home. https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/317184

 

2023 Israel to join Visa Exemption Program. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/by7a1g4dt

 

Price of Freedom: Bennett thanks Erdogan for help. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/b1uriznoy

 

Rabbi helps save Afghan female teen football team. https://www.ynetnews.com/article/b1xoep7dy

 

UAE and Saudis abandon Yemen's coast could be from weak Biden. https://www.debka.com/saudis-uae-suddenly-abandon-red-sea-coast-to-iranian-houthi-control-a-shocker-for-us-and-allies/

 

The Michael Jordan of Israel a documentary story of a true convert. https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-born-baller-who-became-israels-michael-jordan-in-the-70s-stars-in-new-doc/

 

Team Owner faces sex and crypto-currency crimes. https://www.timesofisrael.com/beitar-jerusalem-owner-arrested-for-alleged-massive-crypto-fraud-sex-crimes/

 

Have a wonderful Shabbos,

Rachamim Pauli